Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony path for future: IBIS vs OSS?
I think it has possibly been already discussed here, but I'd like to have a quick recap up to 2022. If I look at the list of lenses produced by Sony since 2019, I see that all but three have no OSS inside:

SEL-P1020G, SEL-1655G, SEL-11F18, SEL-15F14G, SEL-P1635G, SEL-2470GM2, SEL-1224GM, SEL-2860, SEL-14F18GM, SEL-24F28G, SEL-35F14GM, SEL-40F25G, SEL-50F12GM, SEL-50F25G, SEL-20F18G, SEL-35F18F, SEL-135F18 GM.

The three exceptions being - quite obviously - long focals:

SEL-70200GM2, SEL-200600G, SEL-600F40GM.

I think it's a clear path for the future given that IBIS is becoming standard (all full frame cameras have it with the exception of ILCE-7C; for APS-C it's more complex to deduce, since only the latest ILCE-6600 has got it and we have to see the next model to confirm the trend).

For me it's important to guess what my next purchases will be.
What do you think?
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Image stabilization with Sony is one of the biggest mysteries.
* their IBIS is the least efficient - possibly due to the small mount diameter
* they don't offer dual IS, which is even more strange

Normally, I would expect that the latter is a no-brainer for Sony to compensate for their lack of IBIS efficiency, but somehow, they didn't manage to implement this.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Just some comments:
The Sony A7c has IBIS, that is the reason being a little thicker than expected.
The Sony IBIS was rendered average due to the lack of any improvements over many years while others worked on it.
The IBIS cooperates with the OSS and assigns axes of stabilisation to the two systems.
Unfortunately this adds less than one stop to a single system in my shaky hands.
There is no limitation by the Mount, simply as VF and APSC implementations are similar in efficacy and the latter should have an advantage if this hypothesis would be true.
Sony should work on this topic more seriously as they fixed their former AF issues.
And, of course, put IBIS in all APSC cameras as they had 15 years ago (I know, different technology, but who cares as a user). So far, only the A6500 and A6600 offer IBIS and I stopped using any other camera for serious work.
(10-03-2022, 10:19 PM)Klaus Wrote: Image stabilization with Sony is one of the biggest mysteries.
* their IBIS is the least efficient - possibly due to the small mount diameter
* they don't offer dual IS, which is even more strange

Normally, I would expect that the latter is a no-brainer for Sony to compensate for their lack of IBIS efficiency, but somehow, they didn't manage to implement this.

Yes the mount limits IBIS ...... in video mode to improve stability, they crop the image slightly so that the image corners don't hide in the shadows of the mount ........ 

fotorrhoe wrote:
There is no limitation by the Mount, simply as VF and APSC implementations are similar in efficacy and the latter should have an advantage if this hypothesis would be true.

I don't think you are correct in that assumption as the crop in video mode gives significantly greater IBIS stability!

Cordialement .......
Thanks for the correction about the A7c, I edited my original post.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
@fotorrhoe - Where is a reference confirming that Sony has dual IS?

I've never seen anything official about this.

As for the efficiency - given Sony's resources, I've a hard time believing that their IBIS is 1-2 f-stops less efficient for no reason.

As for IBIS in APS-C bodies - the efficiency is also a matter of the mass that has to be moved, I'd say. Probably the reason why the MFT bodies are the best in the business in this respect.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-05-2022, 10:53 PM)Klaus Wrote: @fotorrhoe - Where is a reference confirming that Sony has dual IS?

I've never seen anything official about this.

As for the efficiency - given Sony's resources, I've a hard time believing that their IBIS is 1-2 f-stops less efficient for no reason.

As for IBIS in APS-C bodies - the efficiency is also a matter of the mass that has to be moved, I'd say. Probably the reason why the MFT bodies are the best in the business in this respect.

Difficult to find. I remember some videos when 2nd generation A7 came out but wasn't able to find it on short notice. What I found from Sony so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbUXedWsbA
In an official Sony forum, the moderator comments on the cooperation:
https://ap.community.sony.com/s/question...uage=en_US
 IBIS and OSS work in tandem, sensor would handle XY and roll and lens would handle pitch and yaw.

Not more details given, and nothing more recently -> obviously not a priority for Sony these days.
I've no time now since I'm leaving for a daily trip, but I do think that Sony has dual IS. I think e.g. Mark Galer says that in one of his videos. I'll search and eventually share.
See you later.
stoppingdown.net

(10-06-2022, 07:06 AM)stoppingdown Wrote: I've no time now since I'm leaving for a daily trip, but I do think that Sony has dual IS. I think e.g. Mark Galer says that in one of his videos. I'll search and eventually share.
See you later.

Bingo, it was Mark Galer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgbXp3-sdpI

Quite a nice description, but, as always, he is overselling quite a little bit.