Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EOS M5 rumoured specs
  • 24mp sensor (from 80D, so same dual pixel tech)
  • Built in EVF
  • New AF system (see dual pixel tech from 5D mk IV and 80D)
  • More classical camera design?
Also rumoured to appear at the same time, EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM.

Watching with mild interest... I still want the macro lens, and at some point it would help to have a body to go with it.

Random thought: was catching up on Thom Hogan's writings the other day, was surprised he said Canon were 3rd in mirrorless behind Oly and Sony. I sure he did his homework, but I didn't pay attention to if that was worldwide or a limited region.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Makes you wonder why they call it M5.

EVF and a sensor update suggest an upgrade to the M3.

Hopefully they have fixed that joke of a shutter and the RAW buffer.
The number 4 often is skipped because it is considered an unlucky number in china (just like our silly number 13). I first became aware of that when the english audio manufacturer Arcam Audio went from 3 to 5 with their then popular Arcam Alpha amplifiers.

The chinese character for "4", "å››", is the same syllable "Si" as the character for "death", "æ­»", although it isn't read precisely the same way because they have different tones (the 4th and the 3rd respectively) - but apparently it's close enough (definitely so for a non-Chinese) for a superstition to arise. It isn't that way in other Asian languages - because they're different - but the notion may have spread through the Chinese cultural influence, which is vast.

It's interesting that only the poor number four is suffering while there are, as you might've guessed, a lot more characters that are pronounced Si (for example, "思" means "to think", "丝" stands for "thread" - as in fabric - and "寺" means "temple / shrine"). The numerology thing strikes again. Smile

And, uh, speaking of the Canon M system, about the only interesting things in it (in my opinion) are the two available primes, obviously the 28/3.5 macro more so (though I still don't think it alone can merit the purchase of the system). The rest of the system is so half-hearted that if it hadn't been for the Canon name, it would get that much less attention, or might've even folded after a couple of years just like the Samsung system which, in my opinion, was vastly better than the M but for some reason faile to take off in a big way, despite having some very cool lenses and pretty interesting cameras. I might've bought into that if I had been seriously getting into the mirrorless a year or two ago, but I decided to skip it out entirely and just soldier on with a DSLR...

Quote: 

And, uh, speaking of the Canon M system, about the only interesting things in it (in my opinion) are the two available primes, obviously the 28/3.5 macro more so (though I still don't think it alone can merit the purchase of the system). The rest of the system is so half-hearted that if it hadn't been for the Canon name,
You couldn't be more wrong. Get your hands for real on those lenses (esp. the 11-22) and you will surely change your opinion. The EF-M 18-55 standard lens outperforms the EF-S 18-55 and even the somewhat unlucky 55-200 telezoom performs great.
Very nice - in theory.

I hope this time it will be a body geared more towards enthusiasts and hopefully AF slugginess will be a thing of the past.

If history is an indication, I'm not holding my breath though.

It's time for Canon to finally release some compact primes similar to the 22 (f2 or faster).

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:You couldn't be more wrong. Get your hands for real on those lenses (esp. the 11-22) and you will surely change your opinion. The EF-M 18-55 standard lens outperforms the EF-S 18-55 and even the somewhat unlucky 55-200 telezoom performs great.
Well... the 18-55? 55-200/4.5-6.3? Really? Every system has that and more... most have good slow(ish) UWAs as well. Sorry, I'm not convinced. The possibility to adapt Canon DSLR lenses with full functionality would have been an USP of the Canon-M system... had it not been possible to do this to the Sony E mount, and on that side of the fence there is a magnitude more native lenses - so many that one may not need to adapt anything at all, short of the exotic supertele and T/S units.

As far as I see it, Canon mirrorless system is still immature yet it is progressing.

As Always (with a few exceptions) Canon doesn't introduces new features on its top line before trying them on other lines.

At least this shows that Canon is open minded as a company and ready to go where its customers want not stubbornly insisting  on making its way of doing work. ( with exception of sensor stabilization with EOS M having sensor stabilization that would have been a major plus)
Rover, ok if you can live with adapted lenses on Sony E-mount cameras. I could not, because Sony cameras are a pain in the ass when it comes to ergonomics and handling. I always have the feeling that I am going to hurt myself when touching a Sony cam. Moreover, the EF-M lenses are way cheaper that Sony or even Zeiss ones and yt offer outstanding image quality. All this, plus the possibility to adapt EF/EF-S lenses without any loss of performance makes the EOS M-system very attractive for me. Just came back from my first "EOS-M-only" holidays and I haven't missed anything (despite having a FF camera on the shelf).