Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 ...
Quote:Also, this lens has a similar/same double gauss optical design as the above mentioned cheap Canon EF 50mm f1.8/EF 50mm f1.8 II and its follow up, the EF 50mm f1.8 STM. That means all elements move during focussing, so maybe that explains the choice for DC motor. The EF 50mm STM costs less than half than this Sony, though.
To be fair, it does add an aspherical element though. No idea if there's a big effect on image quality, however.  Wink
Quote:To be fair, it does add an aspherical element though. No idea if there's a big effect on image quality, however.  Wink
That is true.
Still it's disappointing to hear about the lousy motor. Canon must've shipped the remaining stock of 50/1.8 II AFD motors to Sony at a discount. Smile (I hated the 50/1.8 II for the noise and the fact that it was basically useless in live view; not to mention that when the motor was reaching the limit of the gear travel, it slammed with so much force that I was half expecting the lens to break in half again).

Quote:Still it's disappointing to hear about the lousy motor. Canon must've shipped the remaining stock of 50/1.8 II AFD motors to Sony at a discount. Smile (I hated the 50/1.8 II for the noise and the fact that it was basically useless in live view; not to mention that when the motor was reaching the limit of the gear travel, it slammed with so much force that I was half expecting the lens to break in half again).
Maybe Canon shipped the remaining batch of 50mm f1.8 lenses, and Sony put a new shell around the optics and exchanged one element for a aspherical one?  :ph34r:
Interesting how the Imaging Resource (formerly known as SLRGear) turns some of the lens' deficiencies around as something palatable or even desirable:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/s...8f/review/
sounds like a pretty standard 50mm lens. How do we think it compares to the canon 50mm 1.8 stm?

The SLRgear/imageing resource resolution results have an oddity in them that make weary of the precision of how they carry out their tests (again). Their results claim that the corners get worse going from f1.8 to f2. 

Besides that, PZ's test results regarding the EF 50mm f1.8 STM are much better at the border/extreme than the SLRgear results show, again I place more confidence in the results PZ gets.

Also note that SLRgear claims diffraction limiting sets in at f11 on a A7r. While when one tests that (see PZ tests for instance, or lenstip tests) it clearly sets in at f8. How come their (SLRgear) measurements do not show this?

My estimation is that the Sony will measure a bit better wide open at the border/extremes, and that the bokeh may be a little less desirable again compared to the Canon, due to the aspherical element.

Just a nice inexpensive lens, like the Canon. Except that it is not that inexpensive (twice the price).

Horses for courses... unless you own (and are actively using) a Canon->Sony adapter of whatever variety, this lens still looks more compelling than the adapted Canon.

If I had been using a Sony A7 series camera, I would've looked elsewhere, however (would've gotten the Sony 55/1.8 or waited for the Samyang AF 50/1.4). I have a personal gripe with noisy and slow focus motors - had a fair share of that during the Minolta days (and some distance into my Canon era). Namore of this, for Goddes dignitee. Smile

The MTFs for this lens are also a bit ... meh (for a 50).

Quote:The MTFs for this lens are also a bit ... meh (for a 50).
they didn't learn from what happened to Canon when yongnuo launched their 50mm f1.8, and they were forced to release a 50mm f1.8 STM with an updated aperture.

I can see yongnuo 50mm f1.8 in sony mount coming and as I am seeing things, it would be easy to do a lens that will be even better than this one..