Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA
Quote: 

Thumbs up for the four bar system looks to work well!....

+1
Quote:Well, I can't look inside. I can only rate a lens from a user perspective.

The FEs are all pretty impressive within that framework.

I should also mention that I have yet to see a significant centering error in one of the FEs.
I understand that well, I was just not clear on what JoJu was saying...
Peak performance is around F/4.

As pixel count increases, soon it will be at F2.8 Sad

Quote:Peak performance is around F/4.

As pixel count increases, soon it will be at F2.8 Sad
That is diffraction for you.
Is that a bad thing? Implicitly, why would it be better to be sensor limited than lens limited?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I'm old school. Used to take landscape at F8 and get good depth of field and sharpness.

Soon we'll have to choose big depth of field <b>or</b> sharpness.

Or focus stacking at outstandingly high resolution Wink

Quote:I'm old school. Used to take landscape at F8 and get good depth of field and sharpness.

Soon we'll have to choose big depth of field <b>or</b> sharpness.
No, you don't. It is not the sensors doing anything, except showing more and more what the optics do. So, if you now get sharp big prints, you will get sharp big prints in future too. The only thing higher resolution sensors do is allow you to zoom in even more on the  image projected by the lens. Not something normal to do in normal photography, looking at images with a magnifying glass... It is about the image.
We can all just stop buying cameras with higher and higher resolution.  Wink How many times we've all said - "Well screw it - now we have enough megapixels for everything!" - only to collapse and buy the next big resolution thing in a few years' time.  :lol:

That said, I'm fine with the 16 MP camera I have now - I even shoot my journalistic work at M1 resolution which is about 12 MP, because with the L setting I've been eating through hard drive space like you wouldn't believe, even though at times I'm starting to cull images aggressively.

P.S. Then again, maybe someone calls me out on the boldface statement above in a few years when I'll be seen brandishing something like a Sony A7R Mark II...  Tongue

Rover, I thought you had a Canon camera? Am I mistaken? I don't recall a 16mp model.