Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Further experience with Capture One 10.2
After importing files into Capture One, it is very difficult to find out wether these are in the catalogue or only linked into the catalogue, but physically remain in their folders on the hard drive.

In Aperture, as you know, you always have the option to import files from folders which are not in the library. Not so in Capture One. I thought I imported them into the catalogue an deleted the folders, but then had to activate the backup to get them back. Now I have 1123 RAW files in the folder (original backup from all files from a trip to Portugal), but only 670 made it into a final version and were keepers.

In Aperture, I just could select these keepers, click "merge into library" and the leftovers were to delete finally. In Capture One these kind of stuff never occured on a maybe exisiting roadmap.

A lot of badly and worse translated commands, dialogues, false or missing descriptions along with a non-existing manual in German doesn't really improve things.  :mellow:

I found a workflow to repair the library, but there's really no way to change external files into internal files.

Next crap: Try to export a project with albums in it as a new library together with the pictures. Open that library. Be surprised about an empty project with all albums, no pictures in them and the pictures as a bunch of files in the "photos" section. I simply have no idea about the purpose of such a sick process.

In Aperture, this is a good way to split and merge libraries and everything (usually) works silky smooth, but these Danes are not aware of what a DAM is meant to do. Would I miss much if I'd switch off the DAM part? No.

The smart albums are available, but with a dozen "but"s. Handling sucks, EXIF list is very short. It's a shorter list what they can do than what they can't - and knowing it's basically possible nearly hurts.

I had hopes for Affinity DAM, for Luminar, Lyn, Photomechanic - I cannot believe only Apple engineers can do a thing like Aperture. But the reality just grins and proves me totally wrong. These days nobody cares about a well made DAM. And before the LR fans chime in: I also know Adobe producst, be it Bridge or LR. They fall so short, they hardly feel some air during falling.

Messages In This Thread
Further experience with Capture One 10.2 - by mst - 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Further experience with Capture One 10.2 - by JJ_SO - 11-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Further experience with Capture One 10.2 - by mst - 11-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Further experience with Capture One 10.2 - by mst - 11-07-2017, 06:12 PM