Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA
Quote:The change to resolution figures are to attempt to remove some of the sensor - the accuracy I would say is +/-10% as there really are no terrible sensors these days. 

One cannot compare the resolution of two lenses when the data is borne from a lens+sensor test combination.  If you put the 16-35/4L in front of the A7r and they were well matched to each other (meaning the cover glass on top of the A7r sensor is about 2mm thick) then you could directly compare the two. 

I did a bunch of rounding but changing things by +/-50lw/ph is pretty insignificant.  One would do the same compensations to upscale the 14-24 on the D3X to 36mp-equivalent figures.  The true bottom line is that in terms of resolution the performance is pretty similar, the canon is just much better at controlling CA and has less vignetting.  The sony has better distortion performance but neither is particularly offensive.
Thanks for the clarification.

But my question remains; how can you be sure that scaling actually holds and that the system is not limited by the lack of "resolution" of the lens?

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 OSS ZA - by Faketastic - 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM