Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metz files for insolvency
The reasons I went so hard at them are, I have three different Metz models, all between LZ 32 and 36 (at 100 ISO and in "normal reflector position"). I know they are a big employer in the region and it's a shame so many people loose their jobs. But that goes for other kind of same stories as well. Their management relied for too long on the Made in Germany label.

Of course I have to put in perspective how old the flashlights are. Which is one of the reasons I don't use them anymore, I just don't want to get a modern camera's circuit fried by old flash electronics. Even in the old days, there were only the handheld 45 and 60 models with a very decent mechanic, the rest was wobbly or could only tilt the reflector. The SCA adapters were a good idea, but executed a bit fiddly and their clamping nut often clamped not good enough. I recall a couple of situations when the flash fell off or slipped out of it's contact position.

These days I use a Nikon 500 model or one other 3rd party product with two tiny reflectors fixed on the lens while the main unit resides in hot shoe. Especially the Nikon is worth it's price. Powerful although small and light and only two batteries in, with a very efficient locking mechanism to the hot shoe that would not be possible with a SCA foot. I use it if I have to. I'm no big fan of unpredictable light from little portable flashes since I learnt about studio flashes with pilot light. Metz has not much to offer on that field, they always were focused on reporters.

If I were looking for new flashlights, I'd look somewhere else. I already gave Metz good money for not so good products. Their competition was not that sleepy. My sympathy goes for the workers, but it's the management which has higher salaries and lower ideas.

Messages In This Thread
Metz files for insolvency - by joachim - 11-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Metz files for insolvency - by davidmanze - 11-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by JJ_SO - 11-27-2014, 12:08 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by Rainer - 11-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by JJ_SO - 11-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Metz files for insolvency - by dave9t5 - 01-25-2015, 03:26 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by miro - 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Metz files for insolvency - by joachim - 12-06-2015, 08:18 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by JJ_SO - 12-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Metz files for insolvency - by Steinar1 - 01-24-2015, 05:19 PM