Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photokina 2014 mini report
A few words after "cooling down". As you have noticed, it was a pretty immediate personal report.

What put me off mostly on the 6D wasn't the camera itself. Taken as a single camera, out of its line, I guess I quite like the idea of a simple full frame camera.

Actually what struck me was that feeling of senseless product differentiation again. I'd really like camera makers to be more clever about this. It's a full frame camera. They make you enter the "1 digit line" of their camera and you get an odd  "dumbed down" body. The 7D is a "single digit" camera, and guess what, joystick & 1/8000s.

If you look at the line on these two specific aspects, the 6D is actually the odd one. And I don't want to start looking at other aspects, might be even more painful. Mind you, it's still a 1500€ body only camera. Olympus does that too, pretty awfully too...don't worry, I can recognize it. 

Quote:I absolutely hated the Canon joystick from the day I picked up a 30D. Was thankful to see it gone from (or, to be more precise, not included on) the 1D Mark II N that was my next body, but stumbled against it again on the 1D Mark IV. If I had to be looking for a redeeming feature on 60D/6D/70D, it has to be that four-way controller enclosed inside the rear dial (I thought it was such an obvious solution). While I'm yet to own a camera that has it, I can imagine it being that much easier to handle. One point of particular (and so far, pretty much the only) irritation in the 1D IV for me is that it's impossible to reach the joystick when shooting in a vertical orientation (something that I do a lot). The 1D X rectified this... but in a wrong manner, in my opinion: instead of adopting the 60D/6D/70D FWC/dial combo, they just added another joystick (for which I even devised an obscene name which I wouldn't say in public).

The rest of your report, hmm... Gets me thinking.
Depends how you see it : 1 digit -> joystick : 1dx , 5d, 7d have it. they removed it from the xxD line. and the 6D is somewhere between the xD & the xxD...

anyway...

Messages In This Thread
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Sylvain - 09-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Brightcolours - 09-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Klaus - 09-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Rover - 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Sylvain - 09-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Photokina 2014 mini report - by Sylvain - 09-29-2014, 01:46 PM