Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media)
During my honey moon trip in NZ, our camping car was totally wiped out by thieves, including all of the memory cards which contained 2 month worth of our traveling photos.  No amount of money can replace that.  Extremely frustrating.

Nowadays, I use the following setup to minimize the risk of losing any data:
  • My PC has 3 TB mirrored (2 x 3TB configured in RAID 1).
  • I have an external storage SAN using the same config (2 x 3TB in RAID 1; thinking of upgrading to 4 x 3TB in RAID 6 for even better reliability).
  • I have CrashPlan as online backup service (unlimited space for < $100/year).
All this means is that I have 5 copies of my entire hard disk.  I also have a subset of important files on Dropbox (100 GB) to minimize the loss on sensitive data even more  (with a 30 day history capability - great when deleting or updating files by accident).

I run external storage backups on a regular basis (every other day or when a lot of stuff changes at once).

The limited upload bandwidth for the online service is not much of a problem as my PC is always on 24/7.

With this setup, my risk of actually losing data is close to zero.

--Florent

Flickr gallery

Messages In This Thread
What's the point of taking pics if they will end up on damaged media (looking for reliable storage media) - by thxbb12 - 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM