The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses
Hi guys.

Since this is my first post here, first I feel I have to thank you for the things you do, which have helped me since quite a few time in making my lens buy decisions.

I'm a long time Nikonian (13 years) and I'm evaluating the mirrorless world for a number of reasons, the primary one being the need of reducing weigh, at least in some circumstances, because of my increasing back pains (even in the perspective of the next 10/20 years). I shoot landscape and wildlife and the mirrorless evaluation, at the moment, only involves the former, as I don't see any mirrorless system that can at least equate the IQ of my Nikkor AF-S 300 f/4. One fundamental condition for the switch, in fact, is that I don't want to give up with IQ, on the contrary I'd like to increase it, if possible.

I've first done some paperwork, collecting evaluations, and then narrowed down the possible choices to m4/3 and Sony. With the lenses I have in mind, the m4/3 solutions are as heavy or possibly heavier than my current landscape setup (based on a Nikon D5100). So, I've decided to try with Sony - also considering that in any case I have to buy and try for some time, and eventually sell back if I'm not satisfied, and a NEX-6 + Sigma 35mm f/2.8 was a not too expensive combination.

In a first phase I'm just going to evaluate the NEX camera, that is understand if I like it and how it operates (so a decent lens is good enough). In a second phase I'll replace the lens with a Sony 35mm f/1.8 and start comparing it with the Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8. If the thing goes on, it will then be the turn of the AF-S 12-24mm f/4 vs Sony E 4/10-18mm OSS and AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5-7/AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 (hoping that by that time the doubts about its QA have been dissipated).

The kind of comparative evaluation I'm interested into is visual, and possibly at the end of the workflow (with Lightroom), that is with software corrections applied, since it's the way I use my lenses. After buying the equipment I'll run the tests myself and share the results, but at the moment I'd appreciate some pointers to existing NEX vs Nikkor tests already run, just to avoid a useless buy if possible.  Rolleyes But also opinions, if you have one, will be appreciated as well.

Thanks. 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses - by stoppingdown - 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses - by stoppingdown - 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses - by thxbb12 - 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses - by stoppingdown - 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Comparing NEX and Nikkor lenses - by stoppingdown - 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM