Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon lens investment
Quote:Greetings, Photozone!

I'm new to the forum and, incidentally, to photography. I had just recently purchased a Canon 650D, which had included the following lenses:

- Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

I know I'm jumping the gun here, as I have yet to really immerse myself in photography. But I'd like to know anyway. I intend to focus mainly on portraits (since I'd like to help my wife launch a photo blog) and everyday (general) photography. And, since I intend to stick to Canon if I do upgrade bodies, I'd like to know which lens or set of lenses, whether Canon or not (e.g., Sigma, Tamron), I should invest in for each area of interest. Also, from, what I know, the EF-S line is only for cropped bodies. So, I'd appreciate Canon recommendations within the EF-only line. And, of course, I'd also like to get your learned opinion on which third-party lenses match up well with Canon's lenses (some of which are exponentially more expensive than the camera itself!).

Simply put, I would very much like to hear your recommendations for lenses I could use now with my 650D and for any higher Canon model.

I thank you so very much for your help and patience.

All the best!

As pointed out, th 50/1.8 is a good lens for portraiture.  The 18-135 offers quite a range of focal length and can be used for all sort of things - though it has its limitations.

In particular since you are new to photography, I strongly suggest to try what you have and gain some experience.  You might be happy with what you have - if not come back and tell us what you dislike about your current kit and we can suggest how one could overcome the issues.
enjoy

Messages In This Thread
Canon lens investment - by AbogadongKalye - 06-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Canon lens investment - by Brightcolours - 06-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Canon lens investment - by AbogadongKalye - 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Canon lens investment - by Guest - 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Canon lens investment - by AbogadongKalye - 06-29-2013, 05:46 AM
Canon lens investment - by joachim - 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Canon lens investment - by AbogadongKalye - 06-30-2013, 01:27 PM