Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with Canon 24 1.4 II at 1.4
First of all, it looks like DoF is indeed extremely shallow, which makes the smallest body movement place the subject out of focus, for starters.

Furthermore, with shallow DoF like this, focus and recompose is not a good thing (actually, it is a no-no), exactly because DoF is so shallow.

You may also have been shooting at or beyond MFD, which will generate unsharp photographs very easily too.

When shooting at F/1.4 the subject needs to lend itself for it, which means shots with a wider view/more in the image than those close-up shots with a lens like this.

The fact that you get sharp shots when shooting a tape measure means AF and lens are fine, especially as a tape measure is not an easy thing for a focus test. Having said that, AF with wide angle lenses always is difficult, because of the large angle at which the Phase Detect sensors find temselves. This will generally be less accurate than with, e.g., a tele lens.

As an owner of a 24 MkII and a 5D II, I find this combo works perfectly, for me anyway. I've owned the Mk I as well, and although that is very good , the Mk II is clearly better. However, I do shoot subjects from a larger distance with it, generally speaking, than you seem to do. And for portraiture I normally use a 45-50 mm or longer lens.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
Problems with Canon 24 1.4 II at 1.4 - by Guest - 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Problems with Canon 24 1.4 II at 1.4 - by wim - 05-02-2012, 08:38 PM