Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resolution needs and trends
[quote name='popo' timestamp='1334995894' post='17665']

At a high level overview, rarely do we have an ideal mapping between camera output and screen resolution, whatever either of them are. Some rescaling will be required. In that sense, it doesn't matter too much what each end is, as long as the rescaling is done well.

Is 24MP too far? For obsessive pixel peepers who want every pixel to be perfect, then maybe. But I would treat this case like a DSP engineer would. If you know what to do with them, and have the ability to do it (processing capacity, storage cost), then a higher sampling rate (more MP) will give you more options at noise control. The big point here is that each sample (pixel) is not important by itself. As you get more of them, the role each one plays in a scene is proportionately less. It's what you do with all of them that matters. On that note, at DSLR/mirrorless level, I feel MP counts are still far lower than they could usefully be.

As for displays, in short I think TVs will stick to HD resolutions until next generation HD comes a lot closer. Monitors may well increase but for significantly higher densities than we currently have, the operating systems would need to get smarter too.

(Reply....sorry!)

Yes, I certainly agree - particularly about the effect of increased sampling rate and the diminishing role of each sample as the rate increases

A bit like using a finer-grained film - don't look at each grain, just the overall effect.

[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
Resolution needs and trends - by joachim - 04-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Resolution needs and trends - by popo - 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Resolution needs and trends - by PuxaVida - 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Resolution needs and trends - by Guest - 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM