Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H
I wonder why they haven't already disappeared like other, more versatile cameras. Sure, the CEO of Sigma clearly states they are not making money with the cameras and nonetheless they keep up with Foveon sensors. Which, btw. are APS-C or APS-H and therefore too big for the tiny µ 4/3 mount. Sigma doesn't want to sell more cameras, I could guess, they are happy with few customers who know about most or all downsides, than more customers who keep complaining about the numberous lacks of state of the art quality. Target group for the sd Quattro/-H must have been existing Sigma sd-1/15 owners, who had to wait long for an updated camera. Compared to what they were using, the sd Quattro is a progress.

Sigma already has pretty cool lenses for the Sigma mount - where's an available 150-600 in two versions on µ 4/3 side? A 500/4? Alright, both pretty much useless in practice as the needed ISOs are beyond acceptable quality. But with 18-35/1.8  and 50-100/1.8, µ 4/3 would need a 24-47/1.4 and a 67-134/1.4 to compete - and  those lenses would have to be perfectly usable wide open.

Be it AF, the slow refresh rate of the displays, super poor battery life (still), every other ISO than 100, max 200 already belongs to "filmgrain simulations" or "abstract filters". These are a selection of the contra's.

Anyway, I just wish Fuji could have employ such caretaking interface designers like Sigma has: Better buttons, better and stiffer wheels, better user interface of software (on the camera). The ergonomics of the camera are well thought (one can argue why the EVF went so far to the right side).

Together with the grip it just feels right for my hands. And the grip (are you listening, Nikon?) really adds the (needed) battery power. Two more batteries, perfect fit without any wobble. Looks very exotic, to me it would be a completion.

Messages In This Thread
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H - by JJ_SO - 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H - by JJ_SO - 06-01-2017, 07:00 PM
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H - by borisbg - 06-02-2017, 02:41 AM
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2017, 05:14 AM
DPReview reviews Sigma SD Quattro H - by JJ_SO - 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM