The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for clever lens boffins: new retractable zooms
I was wondering if anyone has any insight into whether retractable lenses such as the new 14-42mm Panasonic power zoom for its micro four thirds cameras might be soon available on larger APSC sensor cameras?

I don’t know what’s involved in producing the new Panasonic lens, whether it’s a remarkable leap in lens technology, or an adaptation of the compact camera zoom lenses scaled up to the micro four thirds sensor.

My reason for asking is that I’m thinking of upgrading my GF1 camera and would like to jump to an APS-C sensor, but I don’t like the big lenses. The new Sony NEX-7 has fantastic specs compared to the new Lumix GX1, but whopping big lenses that negate the advantages of the tiny camera.

There’s also the Fujifilm X100 which is to be updated with an interchangeable lens version in the next few months. Great camera, but big lenses coming?

Either the X100 update or the NEX-7 would be killer cameras versus the GX1 if only they had retractable lenses.

If you know about lenses, what do you think the chance of that happening anytime soon? Could Fujifilm easily release such a lens with its improved X100, or is it highly unlikely?

Or might Sony see the great advantage in smaller lenses better proportioned to the tiny NEX-7 rather than the oversized phallus it must dangle for a workable zoom? If it’s easily feasible, why hasn’t Sony done it already? Surely they’ve thought of it.

I understand no one has a crystal ball, but with the idea for such zoom lenses out there now thanks to Panasonic, is it just a matter of adopting the retractable lens technology of compact cameras to larger sensors, or are huge technical issues going to make it a long wait?

I’m sure lots of people have opinions that are little more than guesses, but some people actually understand the technical issues and could offer an educated viewpoint. Any helpful comments would be very much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Question for clever lens boffins: new retractable zooms - by [email protected] - 12-25-2011, 11:18 PM