The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused by lens review vs. lens manufacturer data
I have a Sony NEX-5 with 18-55mm kit and I am looking for a good 28mm for creative work, like a Leica 28mm Elmarit or Zeiss 28mm Biogon.

I am trying to find out if a good lens can improve performance, or if performance is limited by the sensor.

As a beginner, in order to get a general understanding about performance data, I started to compare lens reviews form different sites, and also manufacturers data. Getting more and more confused. Following is an example:

- The Photozone review Lumix GF1 with Zeiss PlanarZM50mm shows half resolution in the corner at F/2, compared to center.

- The Zeiss website shows that in the corner (u=11mm on 4/3 system), resolution is more or less the same as in the center.

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6F/Em...m_ZM_e.pdf

Conclusion would be that the corner performance is limited by the sensor, but this is contradicted by the lens review with the Leica 45mm Elmarit with good corner performance on the same camera.

Messages In This Thread
Confused by lens review vs. lens manufacturer data - by turboman - 01-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Confused by lens review vs. lens manufacturer data - by turboman - 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Confused by lens review vs. lens manufacturer data - by genotypewriter - 01-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Confused by lens review vs. lens manufacturer data - by genotypewriter - 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM