Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
raw file clipping
[quote name='anyscreenamewilldo' timestamp='1282598727' post='2060']

a quick question - i thought i'll ask here first but maybe not a right question for this site so much, as it's not about lenses - but i see many knowledgable bods here, although not so many sony people (but that's true everywhere) -

so - if there is anyone here familiar with a900 (or 850 i guess) - or maybe other cameras too -

i'm having a concern about the RGB (especially blue) channels being pushed into clipping in raw conversion with a standard conversion of a file (via both ACR and C1) - it is possible to adjust to bring it out from raw unclipped and then realign the blacks/whites in Ps and end up with a very similar (or better) graded picture with correctly aligned unclipped RGB's - but why is it so? -

is it me, or is it the current files out of my camera? - has anyone else noticed this? - or is this normal for other camera's files too?

thanks in advance,

keith

[/quote]

Clipping occurs on the left, Keith. In your example we just see that in the very dark part in the image the blacks have a blue tone/cast (on the right). You can not talk about clipping there, clipping in when the photo diodes collect so much photon's that they are full and the extra photons can not be registered anymore. On the right we are talking about (almost) no light.

That is after RAW conversion.

This (always the blue channel dominant in blacks) may well be because maybe your/the A900 has more noise in the blue channel, and noise shows up more in the dark or underexposed parts.

I would not worry about it, as it clearly does not mess with your colour balance.

And if indeed the blue channel shows noise in the shadows, that is then nothing a bit of NR can not cure.

If youdo not want anything to be pushed into the shadows, just lower contrast. That will bring the right data into play.

But basically, I think you may be worrying about nothing.

Messages In This Thread
raw file clipping - by anyscreenamewilldo - 08-23-2010, 09:25 PM
raw file clipping - by wim - 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM
raw file clipping - by anyscreenamewilldo - 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
raw file clipping - by anyscreenamewilldo - 08-24-2010, 01:57 AM
raw file clipping - by Brightcolours - 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
raw file clipping - by anyscreenamewilldo - 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
raw file clipping - by wim - 08-25-2010, 10:21 AM
raw file clipping - by Guest - 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM