Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon "auto distortion control": how well does it deal with barrel distortion?
[quote name='Argelius' timestamp='1282483115' post='2022']

I am currently using a Tamron 18-270 lens with my Nikon D5000 and am frustrated with the marked barrel distortion it has (which I realize is a trade-off with any zoom lens of this sort). I've been thinking about getting a Nikkor 18-200 lens, hoping it is a significantly "better" lens (albeit with much less zoom range).

In the shooting menu, there's a setting for "auto distortion control" which is greyed out (probably because the feature only works with Nikkor lenses). I have tried it with a 105mm Nikkor macro lens that I also have, but cant really notice any difference with that lens.

Would anyone care to comment on how the Nikkor 18-200 lens compares to the Tamron 18-270 in terms of distortion and clarity?

Also, can anyone comment on how effective this feature is with removing lens distortion on the popular Nikkor 18-200 lens? Would love to see a "with and without" comparison...

[/quote]

The tamron 18-270 is better in the 18-200 range than the Nikon. So IQ wise, you will not gain much.

"Correcting" barrel distortion in-camera is just as effective as "correcting" it in software, so not sure that is worth getting a different lens. I guess that is personal.

The Nikon 105mm macro does not have any barrel distortion to speak of, so of course you will not notice a difference.

I would just correct in software in shots where it actually is needed.

And I would invest in better lenses which do not have such problems to begin with, not just buy more of the same as replacement.

Lenses which do not offer such a big zoom range but for the rest are compromising in every other area. It is a DSLR after all, and being able to switch lenses is a plus point rather than a drawback...

Messages In This Thread
Nikon "auto distortion control": how well does it deal with barrel distortion? - by Brightcolours - 08-22-2010, 02:22 PM