Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I like it to compare "rival" photographers' shots ;)
The comparison is interesting, but the picture used shows a rather typical who-met-who picture. It is not the best use of a compact camera and it certainly does not show the way to use a DSLR. If you want to make these kind of pictures use a cellphone. That way it gets really a challenge, which might yield something.

Also a cellphone is easier to carry than a compact camera (not mentioning the DSLR).

Since a DSLR is all about controll, I'd ask myself why the DOF is comparable with the compact, why the picture is overexposed, why a high ISO was used, why the flash is used directly (no bounce or off-camera flash) and if it was not possible to choose a different background.

Flash photography is off course all about balance between the flash and the background light. If you want to use a flash the right way I'd try the strobist approach using external flashes and manual settings to eliminate camera interference. But I don't have the skills and the equipment. It would be too much trouble to set up for me anyway. (Unless someone was willing to keep up an umbrella for me...)

Messages In This Thread
Why I like it to compare "rival" photographers' shots ;) - by Harald Brauer - 06-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Why I like it to compare "rival" photographers' shots ;) - by Guest - 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Why I like it to compare "rival" photographers' shots ;) - by Harald Brauer - 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM