Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL Lens Test Report - Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 USM L IS
Two sentences dragged my attention:

"The (optical) behaviour in backlit situations is better than average though."
I don't think, lens hoods can improve strictly backlit situations like shooting towards a light source. In German, one of the terms describing of this things is "stray light hood" - meaning light sources, not visible in the picture, but their light rays make their way into the front element and acting as ricochets inside the lens. For that, a dedicated lens hood can improve the picture - but not for backlight, here it's only the level of coatings.

"It is facing tough competition from the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART lens but the Canon lens has the benefit of providing more consistent focusing results."
For that I'd like to see some statistics, real facts. I suspect this to be a subjective opinion. Size and weight already are real disadvantages of the Sigma, but this fathom of focus inaccuracies keeps on running around and chain rattling and I never saw any clear evidence.

Especially from Opticallimits: More than once you said, AF is nothing we can test or rate.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next OL Lens Test Report - Canon EF 85mm f/1.4 USM L IS - by JJ_SO - 04-20-2018, 07:49 AM