The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mama never told me about handling internal focusing & zooming lens best practices!
When you have a pouch that hangs vertically it seems natural not to put it in the case lens side down.  Also when stored with the base down, you naturally make the lens it shortest physical length. 

But with lenses that don't change length, I haven't really been thinking about it.  In fact my prime macros are pretty nearly always close the their closest focus when I put them in a pouch.  If the lens is front up the elements are working against the strain of gravity.

Everyone loves their 70-200mm zooms.  Here is the thing, mine is almost always set at 200mm (longest physically --- well I guess at least, it is a design decision, but very often longest zoom has the furthest position of the front element from the base of the lens). 

It is a little embarrassing to have to come and ask the experts about something I have been taking for granted.  Just assuming I could drop my IF focusing lens in the bag without a care in the world.

The reason I am finally thinking about it is my usual one.  Something went wrong with the focusing of my EF 70-200 F/4L (i) IS USM lens.  It is not completely broken.  But sometimes when I turn the focus ring in MF, or even the camera attempts the same feat in AF, it will not make it to the MFD.  Sometimes getting only as far as 2.5m.

The are some rituals which can help.  For instance, hold the lens horizontally, and talk to it in a soothing voice.  You see the connection?  The elements do not have to work against gravity. 

Aside from the inevitable, 'Send the lens to be repaired', I was hoping to hear what you, who have handled this type of lens for years have any advice on "Best Practices" for carrying your IF/IZ lenses vertically in a case or camera bag.

Please be kind.  Most of my experience is with less modern lens designs.  I somehow thought this type of lens was bullet proof!

Thanks in advance!  I come here for advice because you guys know a universe of information.  But even if you don't know, I can still learn from your experiences.  What works for you?

-Arthur

Messages In This Thread
Mama never told me about handling internal focusing & zooming lens best practices! - by Arthur Macmillan - 07-23-2018, 02:01 AM