Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Canon EOS RP specs leaked
wim
There is also another thing: people on the internet often present Canon sensors as the worst sensors available for cameras, but they are very good regardless. Maybe not classleading according to soem testers, but there is a general difference in approach to dealign with noise reducxtion vis-avis Canon and the rest. Canon does very little wrt noise reduction when it comes to RAW-files, basically meaning that if you'd want, you can still extract real detail from those files, by careful PP yourself. The others actually do use specific algorithms to get rid of a lot fo noise even in RAW, basically in such a way that they score highly in the S/N ratio department, even if that is at least a little artificial. It means, however, that you loose real detail as well, which essentially is impossible to prevent with that approach (remember Sony's loss of stars in night shots?).
Besides, unless doing HDR type shots, I reckon you do not need extreme high DR. Based on my film (analog) experience, I reckon 12 stops is already quite OTT, and if you expose correctly, you don't really need more IMO (yeah, I know, controversial opinion Smile).

Other than that, I really do like the way the combo of Canon sensors, lenses and their processing work. I really do like their rendering better than any other combination. Olympus, BTW, renders very similarly, which is why I like them as well. Personal preference, of course, and probably not to everybody's taste, but that's fine Smile.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

I can't but second Wim opinion here, I own and use both Canon and Sony so I am neutral here, Sony does apply  a lot of noise reduction at high ISO Sony applying noise reduction even in RAW  is so obvious, when it comes to low light , sony pictures gave less visible noise but look very artificial.
Only advantage I found in Sony A6000 sensor is when I boost shadows in RAW converter noise increases less than it does with Canon RAWs.
I also noticed on prints almost always people prefer Canon photos, but it's rather unfair to compare output from camera with very good lenses  to the output from a poor kit lens like Sony 16-50.

(02-16-2019, 02:56 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: wim,

first of all: I fully agree to what you said about the RP three posts before. This body as an appealing way to upgrade from any Canon DSLR to Canon FF mirrorless is brilliant strategic move of it's manufacturer. Same body, Sony sensor and "Nikon" on it, I would be jumping to the order button. The body gets access to some rather cool and interesting lenses - opposite of Nikon's outmost conservative, anti-surprise lens collection ("3 50 mm's?" "Yeah, we want to cover all possible apertures. "2 different 24-70s?" "Same here, and also celebrating the dullness of this FL range"). At this price point it's a home rum. And if the sensors were all that crap, nobody would have bought them before.

Now I'd like to tell you something about your other answer, not to offend you, but if I see it that way, others might do so as well. I didn't follow the whole discussion, but your reasoning catched my eye as it was very logical.

You're busy with work, so can't save a link. But can read lengthy (more or less) interviews...
You can remember what Canon changed with the 6D sensor, but not where you read it or who said so. (I'm just the same kind of reader, terrible memory for names or web-addresses with some 100 characters in). Usually this is the first thing to question this memories, but as photographers we all need to consider: I can remember maybe the place and date (that'd be already art of memroizing) of a nice waterfall picture, but not the aperture I used or the ISO I set.

Apparently this "outdated sensor"-argument becomes a reflex of us non-Canon users. Core of it is: You like the outcome of their and Olympus sensors better and others for a tiny couple of real reasons and a huge bag of theoretical reasons which really don't matter all that much. Now I'll fall back into recovery mode fro a planned surgery. Maybe I get well just in time for Nikon and their new firmware attempt. The whole Z system is (today and in my eyes only) slowly moving to the back part of the ML train. It's alright, if I see the body and lenses, but regarding their price tag it's already only half alright. I don't know how much space is left for an ultra conservative camera-maker with a massive lack of fresh "never-seen-before"-ideas. The best I can about the Z: It's one of the most lightweight high-res FF bodies I own. After having said that, the list of features of unrivaled greatness fades out too quickly.

I can't but second Wim opinion here, I own and use both Canon and Sony so I am neutral here, Sony does apply  a lot of noise reduction at high ISO Sony applying noise reduction even in RAW  is so obvious, when it comes to low light , sony pictures gave less visible noise but look very artificial.
Only advantage I found in Sony A6000 sensor is when I boost shadows in RAW converter noise increases less than it does with Canon RAWs.
I also noticed on prints almost always people prefer Canon photos, but it's rather unfair to compare output from camera with very good lenses  to the output from a poor kit lens like Sony 16-50.

Messages In This Thread
Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by toni-a - 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by wim - 02-07-2019, 12:29 AM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by toni-a - 02-07-2019, 07:35 AM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by Rover - 02-07-2019, 08:07 AM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by Klaus - 02-07-2019, 08:52 AM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by thxbb12 - 02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by miro - 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by wim - 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by Brightcolours - 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by toni-a - 02-13-2019, 04:05 PM
RE: Canon EOS RP specs leaked - by Brightcolours - 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM