The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for a reliable RAID 4x enclosure (Fantec?)
Hi gents.

It's high time I get myself again equipped with a NAS backup. My fifteen-years old Lacie Big 5 still works, but de facto has not been operative for years due to obsolescence (in particular for what concerns speed, which makes impossible even incremental backups).

Short story... yes, I've just suffered catastrophic failure of my MacBook Pro. No, I didn't lose data, not even a bit. But my current backup solution (based on 2x SSDs and 2x HDDs directly attached to the laptop) proved to lack something in case I need to quickly restore data to my recovery laptop, which is based on Linux (once upon a time I used to have a macOS recovery laptop, but it has become too an expensive approach). The problem is the interoperability of file systems, which would be fixed with a remote storage. I knew that and I was studying about that, but the problem came before I got a solution. End of the short story.

When the old Lacie was my only backup, RAID was important. Now it might be not, as I have another kind of redundance. So I'd like to start with a solution that would allow to start easy and then eventually scale. I figured out that a RAID capable enclosure attached to a Raspberry PI would do.

So now the problem is to find a good and **reliable** RAID enclosure, as I don't know this world. I found this that would perfectly fit my needs:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B003Q72F52/?col..._lig_dp_it

Buy I don't know the manufacturer. Do you know whether it makes reliable products? Other suggestions?

Thanks.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
Suggestion for a reliable RAID 4x enclosure (Fantec?) - by stoppingdown - 01-20-2021, 02:19 PM