Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens
(06-07-2021, 05:04 AM)Arthur Macmillan Wrote:  
I have to look into the Sony. Do the use the same mount for Full frame and APS-C? I used to hear that their lenses were pricy. Is Sony still developing it's APS-C mirrorless cameras, or is it a dead end as far as moving into the future? Sony is a relative unknown for me. I like them, but I can't keep up with their new offerings. And their specifications that keep moving towards infinity...So the have an EVF now with 9 1/2 millon dots? So their FF sensor is now 63 MB? Or is that already obsolete?

Where would one jump in with Sony? (Can the Sigma 150-650 be purchased that natively has the Sony Mount? Adapters are sort of tiresome to me.

Thanks in advance!

-Mac

Hi Mac ....... you added weatherproofing as a top requirement ...... the trouble there is, how weatherproof are say the D500 or the 90D for that matter? ........ I know that they are resistant to a point but the battery door on the D500 doesn't inspire me ....... Olympus are supposed to be pretty good in that respect but then it falls down a little in terms of noise. 
  For around three grand:  the Sony A6600 (APSC sensor) ....... I would couple it with the Sony 200-600mm zoom (F5-6.3)  very sharp and very manageable .... it has bird's eye detect and it heralded Sony's very clever AF in A9 !!

here's a link:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2020/07...n-or-snow/

Or, for under a grand, maybe the Tamron G2 on the Canon 90D (it's better than the Sigma contemporary btw) which has weather resistance and take some sort of rain protection .... I carry a couple of dustbin bags in my backpack ...... certainly one of the cheapest options as you already have the camera ........ depends what you budget you have in mind and how long you intend to spend in Costa Rica ....... 

Some things to think about there at any rate ........

all the best

daves cliches

Messages In This Thread
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-06-2021, 09:40 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-07-2021, 10:17 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 08:15 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 10:32 AM
RE: Birding in Costa Rica: Which Camera+Lens - by davidmanze - 06-08-2021, 03:48 PM