Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some ppl are rather dense to say the least (about shooting in a public place)
A few years ago in the US I was approached by forest ranger while taking pictures in national forest/wilderness. He told me that if I was going to use the photos for anything beyond personal use, I need a permit. I actually still believe that's the rule, though it's a rule that's rarely enforced. With the amount of published smartphone pictures being published it's getting harder to enforce.

In this case, I think the photographer totally knew what he meant and was being a moron. Then he wrote this article proving to be an even bigger moron. He probably could have answered that the photos he was taken were for private use. Then it is no different than taking family photos with an smart phone. If the photos weren't for private use, for his or the models portfolio only w/o money being exchanged, he should have known. Unless he's lives in a vacuum.

I know in many places the don't enforce no photography allowed with people using smartphones. This is true in many countries I've visited. However, they will ask you not to take photos if you're using an ILC. Definitely flash is usually a no-no. I found in many instances my Pen-f with a small lens sneaks under the line. IOW, I'm not asked to put it away while I see people with full size slr's and big fast lenses being asked to do so.

IMO, this shouldn't have come as a surprise to this photographer. Do you think he may of also had helpers? People holding reflectors for instance? Thus, making him look more professional?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some ppl are rather dense to say the least (about shooting in a public place) - by mike - 06-21-2021, 05:18 PM