The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manage / Repair back focus, plus general ruminations about adapting
Hi,

I still have my first and only DSLR, an old EOS 10D (no EF-S mount!), and over the years I've basically stopped using it. When I used it, I often had the impression it had a slight back focus. Or front focus? No matter: in any event, it had trouble focusing exactly where I wanted it to. I did a fair bit of manual focusing and auto, and the viewfinder probably contributed because it is awful and small and dark, but there was no affordable alternative back then. And I didn't know much about finders then.

Now, I do want to pick up my photography again, and there are alternatives, and there is some cash to burn. But the 10D is still there, no longer worth much, as bad to use as it's ever been, but call it nostalgia, I can't bring myself to just ditch it. I'd rather keep it as a 'kick-around' body, even if it's only with the EF-S 18-55 whose rear end I cut open so I could mount it on the 10D ;-)

However, the last time I did use it, in 2013, it did give me trouble beside the back focus. Just cutting out on me several times. Might have had something to do with the batteries, which had been mostly just lying around since 2009.

Two new batteries wouldn't break the bank these days, but what is to be done about the focusing trouble? More to the point: can this be adjusted on the body alone or is there work to be done on the lenses as well?

Because there is still some better EF glass than the 18-55 'yoghurt cup', and no matter what system(s) I go for - there will be more, as well as some Metabones adapters. But of course I would want my main cameras to focus correctly with the 'good' lenses.

Which, in turn, opens up a whole other can of worms: What could be done if a prospective MFT and/or Sony body had similar focus trouble with one or more Canon lenses?

Messages In This Thread
Manage / Repair back focus, plus general ruminations about adapting - by Seymour - 12-02-2015, 05:43 PM