Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal - near center charts for ultra-high resolution cameras
Quote:+1 for including both Center and Near-center (off-center?) along with Corners....and dropping extreme corners.  

Always found the Extreme Corners mostly useless data but also misleading...as has been discussed periodically in these forums.  Extreme corners seems to be a legacy of testing FF coverage lenses on low-res APS-C sensors and trying to force data to find some minor differences among lens-sensor combos that all performed similarly.  Consequently, Extreme corner data is over-weighted at PZ.  

I've never had a photo where I ever needed any performance out of the extreme corner.  It's such a small area of the photo, but given far too much importance by PZ.  I always ignore the results from it.  

Meanwhile, there is no data from the truly important golden-ratio / rule-of-thirds parts of the frame.

<div> 
Center / Off-Center / Corners provide much more useful spread of data across the frame.  Also avoids the perception of such extreme drop-off that you are currently getting with high-res sensors for Center / Corner / Extreme Corners.

Thanks for considering my input.

</div>

Funnily I consider the center to be pretty useless (when was the last time when a lens was really bad or just good in the center?) but I'm loving my corners. ;-)

We are all different I guess.

@ Brightcolors - yes, this last mm of sensor space is a bit of an issue because this is where everything amplifies. We have to have some space there though.

Messages In This Thread
Proposal - near center charts for ultra-high resolution cameras - by Klaus - 12-04-2015, 03:00 AM