Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eizo screens
Eizo screens claim that they self calibrate and are extremely accurate, their prices are quite steep.

Are they good investments ?

No screen ever is a good investment. They always will lose value at a rapid pace once bought, and always technology will move on.

Maybe the usage of the term "investment" isn't optimal, but I presume the question is do you gain value by paying more for an Eizo over other brands/models? I can't answer that since I haven't use Eizo, but they've always been at the high end. I don't have a problem with picking a decent consumer model and calibrating it as necessary.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:No screen ever is a good investment. They always will lose value at a rapid pace once bought, and always technology will move on.
Tend to disagree, a good screen is definitely a good long term investment. I doubt that an expensive Eizo is really needed though.
Sorry for not making myself clear. The question isn't about the money or cost. It is about the reliability and image quality it delivers.

No screen calibrators available in Lebanon. Either I get Eizo screen or I import a calibrator. I was considering Eizo screen
Some Eizos are bundled with calibration hardware from X-Rite, don't know what calibration software Eizo supplies.

Did you consider Dell? They seem to provide great value for the money. Some of their models ship calibrated including a calibration report.

LED-backlights seem to have far less variance in brightness during time of usage. That was a problem with my old CCFL-illuminated monitor, which needed at least 15 minutes warm-up to reach a constant state. This was the main reason for me to get a calibrator.

Are you looking for an sRGB-capable display or one with wider colour gamut?
For the time being sRGB is fine for me.

You understand post processing is pointless when you don't have a calibrated screen