Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip to camera shop
I haven't been to a physical camera store in a long time, but today I was passing by a shop I used online many times before, so I thought I'd drop in. The shop is in a bit of a middle of nowhere village so it is a bit unusual. Maybe they get lower costs from doing that? As they deal online a lot, I don't think they depend on personal customers as much.

Earlier this month, I noticed Canon were doing cashback on the 100L macro so I thought I'd pick that up today. Turns out I didn't read the small print and it sounds like it just ended yesterday. Doh! I still got the lens, but the extra saving would have been sweet and they were competitive on price regardless.

They did everything in store, and then some. Canon interchangeable and compacts (even M3!). Nikon I didn't pay attention to, nor Olympus or Fuji but there were big displays for them too. Surprisingly large area for Pentax, so someone must still buy them. There's even a Leica zone I skipped past.

3rd party lenses weren't left out. Good chunk of Sigma lenses around, not so many Tamron. Zeiss had a good showing too, with some of the pre-classic ZE/ZF lenses on display, as well as some M mount which look dinky in comparison. I didn't see the mirrorless range there, but again I didn't look for them either as items were scattered throughout the store.

I got to play with some other lenses while in there. Tried the 100-400L II as a possible replacement to the mk1 I still use. I really don't like the twist zoom on that. Handling is much worse in that respect. It takes too much force and too long a throw to go end to end, where it was almost effortless on the mk1.

I also quickly tried the Sigma 150-600 C, as they didn't have the S on display. It was lighter than I thought, more than acceptable compared to the 100-400. I have an area of further research there - can you push-pull the lens? Let me rephrase that, should you? It really works that way, but the sales person really wasn't keen on it. I just recall a friend saying that it could be used that way. He somehow got a role promoting Sigma lenses in their scheme I don't recall the name of. So he's supposed to promote it through use of the kit in normal use, not directly selling them. I'll have to check up on that.

By that point I had been there a while and only briefly questioned about compacts. If some may recall in my other thread, the Sony RX100 IV would be fine, apart from the price. They had the III on display and it seemed a good size, but I didn't request to try it at that point. Similarly they had the Canon G7X which I had already dismissed on lack of VF. The G5X was apparently too new for them to have in yet.

So all credit to them, they managed to give store service, and I still got a lens at internet competitive prices. If only the store was closer to my house. Or perhaps it is for the better that it isn't...
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:....

I also quickly tried the Sigma 150-600 C, as they didn't have the S on display. It was lighter than I thought, more than acceptable compared to the 100-400. I have an area of further research there - can you push-pull the lens? Let me rephrase that, should you? It really works that way, but the sales person really wasn't keen on it. 
 Sounds like a good experience, popo.

Yes, you can push-pull the Sigma 150-600, But I think it's less the way to zoom but more the way to bring it in to transport size quickly. There's even a friction brake on each printed FL where you can prevent the front element of unwillingly movement. I only push it inside for transport or when I have it on tripod.

Never tried a 150-600 C, the lighter weight was no concern when I ordered the Sports. Today I changed my mind, but now I have that beast.

I also love to sneak around in camera stores and I gave myself the rule if I find something good and am happy with the salesperson's advice I don't do a long price research. What I mostly buy at local dealers are items I need to see or touch before. Like small cameras, tripod accessories or bags. Bodies or lenses I don't expect to find at competitive prices here.