Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leica SL 601 "Hands On"
 Ephotozine already have a "hands on" on the Leica SL 601.

Very few buttons on the exterior indicate they may well be a lot of menu digging to be done with this camera, recourse to the rear screen being the only way to change settings, unless they use the EVF in tandem.

I think this will be a very steep learning curve for your standard issue Leiconian who is more used to mechanical ergonomics.

According to Leica's specs, at 11 fps, the battery will be depleted in 37 seconds. (400 shots).................................. "An immediate and huge issue" constantly talked about by Sony A7 users, (EVF/ screen consumption and menu digging) .............................................................there's no denying that DSLRs have a massive advantage in that department.

Still it's the most interesting camera out there at the moment!

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica...view-28314

Quote: Ephotozine already have a "hands on" on the Leica SL 601.

Very few buttons on the exterior indicate they may well be a lot of menu digging to be done with this camera, recourse to the rear screen being the only way to change settings, unless they use the EVF in tandem.

I think this will be a very steep learning curve for your standard issue Leiconian who is more used to mechanical ergonomics.

According to Leica's specs, at 11 fps, the battery will be depleted in 37 seconds. (400 shots).................................. "An immediate and huge issue" constantly talked about by Sony A7 users, (EVF/ screen consumption and menu digging) .............................................................there's no denying that DSLRs have a massive advantage in that department.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica...view-28314

I am considering to sell Photozone to get one ;-)
Quote:Very few buttons on the exterior indicate they may well be a lot of menu digging to be done with this camera, recourse to the rear screen being the only way to change settings, unless they use the EVF in tandem.

The die-hard Leiconians (at least those who have noticed there's that thing called digital photography now, not those who still stick to the M3) are already used to this approach from the T and Q.

Which doesn't make this approach any better, IMO.

Quote:Still it's the most interesting camera out there at the moment!

Seriously: what makes you think so?

I'm really curious, because I hardly see anything besides speed and that EVF which makes the SL special.

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:The die-hard Leiconians (at least those who have noticed there's that thing called digital photography now, not those who still stick to the M3) are already used to this approach from the T and Q.

Which doesn't make this approach any better, IMO.

Seriously: what makes you think so?

I'm really curious, because I hardly see anything besides speed and that EVF which makes the SL special.

-- Markus
The Leica attention to detail in machining and finish, and the lenses.
Quote:The Leica attention to detail in machining and finish
Well, not quite my experience, but anyway: not really a reason to make the SL the "most interesting camera out there" in my book...

Quote:and the lenses.
Oh, yeah... all 3 of them. Two of which will be unavailable until late next year...

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Please don't. Then something newer and better will come along but alas there will never be another photozone Sad

Quote:I am considering to sell Photozone to get one ;-)
Quote:....

<a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica-sl--typ-601--hands-on-review-28314">https://www.ephotozine.com/article/leica-sl--typ-601--hands-on-review-28314</a>

In my book, a lot of buttons is not an indicator for a great user experience. Like to add, a massive menu-tree also goes in the same category. And worst: loads of buttons and loads of menu topics.

The only concept I know which comes with a medium size menu (depending on what I know from Nikon, it' s'more a fast-food menu) and reduced buttons are the small Sigma Merills. Even my old Canon G11 has more options. Easier to understand and faster to setup is the Sigma approach for me. That's something I see in the Leica button layout: maybe no possibility to declare the speed and lock-on time of AF operation within the scenery "moonshine on water" program, I admit. But to my big surprise I still get some snaps out if it, even landscape without the camera's computer pretending to know how landscape should be shot.

I like that simplicity.

So, I join your choir of seeing the Leica SL as one of the most interesting cameras since quite a while. Attitude of manufacturer and price don't make it attractive to me. But as a concept it comes close to my idea of a perfect camera in 2015. No DSLR dinosaurs and no flimsy mirrorless miniature bodies.