Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andoer extension tube with Canon EF-S 55-250 F4.0-5.6 IS STM
I'm a newbie and just got my stuff together, but after getting some fine results with my "poor man's macro" combination, I thought I'd share some results in case you're looking for a cheap macro solution.

The extension segments do pass on the camera's signals, so the AF and aperture do work, which is great when considering the price of only ~20€. (This is the product: http://amzn.to/1VKXwF8).

Here's a sample image of a cent coin that I placed on my mobile phone's display. I used all three segments together with my tele lens (Canon EF-S 55-250 F4.0-5.6 IS STM at 64mm, F14, 1.3" on an EOS 50D) and some light from the side (LED desk lamp). The euro coin didn't fit into the view, the second image below has not been cropped in darktable or gimp:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Here's a 1 euro coin (with a not-so-good-looking 10 Euro bill as background as I noticed later):

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I'm really excited that you can see so much detail with that combination. Now I'm desperately trying to find a dead wasp or something similar to create some stunning monster shots!  Big Grin

As I said in the beginning, I'm just starting with photography, maybe the results are crap compared with grown-up macro lenses. Maybe you have one and want to add some samples with the same subject? That would be interesting!

Bought the same brand in the Nikon mount, but 12/20/36mm. They do both screw-drive and ultrasonic drive AF, which is really handy, yes solid aluminum mounts (silver) and plastic body, all electronic coupling. Only let down at the price is the awkward angled release tab which is difficult to get a grip of! 

Does the Canon version have built in screw-drive? 

They don't clearly specify in the ebay ads that this model has both methods of AF, II had to post the AF question which was kindly answered by a user.

Dave's clichés
Quote:  Bought the same brand in the Nikon mount, but 12/20/36mm. They do both screw-drive and ultrasonic drive AF, which is really handy, yes solid aluminum mounts (silver) and plastic body, all electronic coupling. Only let down at the price is the awkward angled release tab which is difficult to get a grip of! 

Does the Canon version have built in screw-drive? 

They don't clearly specify in the ebay ads that this model has both methods of AF, II had to post the AF question which was kindly answered by a user.
Canon and screw drive? No. Canon has had in-lens AF motors from the start of EOS.
    Ok  ,Brightcolours  in reality I know nothing about Canon gear, it also explains why the Nikon version is a little more expensive!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Dave's clichés