Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best backup system for photographs
LaCie has some kind of reputation because they used to use always different HDs or CD/DVD burners. I know from people who avoid Samsung HDs, others have other preferences. So far I was lucky to get good WD (drives as well as cases). Some docking stations I got from an american supplier (with FW400, FW800, USB and SATA sockets) stopped working on FW800 after one year.

So far I didn't switch to thunderbolt connection. Only my MacBook is thunderbolt ready, my old iMac battlehorse has no faster connection than FW800.

Hi Guys,

It is an older post from me about image back-up. I asked for advice, because I have had some problems in the past. It took a while, but now I have a new back-up setup. I discarded both external HDD's, because the connection kept giving problems. Most connection are fragile, unfortunately.

The new new back-up consist of:

- Trayless Mobile Rack from Icy-Box with 2tb hardisk drive. It works fine, but the fan is quite noisy.

- external harddisk drive from West-Digital (WD) called 'My Passport'(USB#), which I will store somewhere outside my own house.

The 2 TB HDD was an old one, which I took out of the older enclosure. It will soon be replaced by a 3 or 4 tb disk.

This setup works well, so I hope it will last longer than the other external drives.

Kind regards,

Reinier
OneDrive. 15GB free. It can even automatically save the pictures to the cloud as soon as you take them. Data saving features like transfer only on WiFi. I've been using it for Android love it.

Since posting here the last time, I've replicated my storage to 3 (!) backup HDDs (one at the office because I occasionally pull the old photos out to use them) and the cloud. Two of the HDDs are at home (one 2TB, the new primary one, and one 1TB) and I'm pretty much mirroring them because once I'm done sorting the photos for every given day, I'm copying them to the second HDD AND the cloud. The third one is a little trickier to update but I'm doing this at times.

I'd love to get a SSD instead of one HDD but it's still a little too costly for now.

Now there are very affordable 1TB USB sticks, even.

I will not use SSD only for backup purposes. I still think, a mix of slow, but large HDD for longtime storage and smaller, fast SSD for current work is a good combination in terms of costs, reliabiity and safety. While I'm hesitating to put 1.3TB to any cloud service, I still use alternating HDDs for backup, but am too lazy to carry them to another place. I'm aware of the risks and I decided to ignore them.  Rolleyes

My base system (2TB) is configured in RAID1 (2x2TB, mirrored).

Additionnaly, my whole filesystem is backup'ed online through CrashPlan. Unlimited storage, configured to backup everything.

On top of this, I use an external 2TB harddisk that mirror my whole filesystem once a week.

In total, with 4 copies of my files I think my system is fairly robust.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Actually, I don't need that much storage space - my archive now stands at 469 GB (just 9 GB growth in the last 5 months, achieved through the combination of more considerate shooting, using smaller resolution and actively culling old photos - and thankfully I don't shoot RAW). But I have a lot of other people's photos (like my wife's) stored on my drive that need the same treatment - there's a lot to be done. Add the music, the videos, the personal stuff and the 15 years worth of PDF archives from our (defunct) newspaper, and 1 TB unfortunately becomes too little, or I would've switched to a SSD after all. However, I'd rather wait until I manage to shrink the most important archives somewhat - which may happen in a year's time when this type of storage becomes somewhat cheaper. Smile