Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computerization as the next step in the evolution of that thing once called camera obscura
Your smartphone camera is not good enough? Just fit 16 of them into a little thicker but otherwise smartphone-sized body and let a computer conceive an image out of it.

"It's like having a camera body, zoom, and 3 fast prime lenses right in your pocket."

https://light.co/camera
It's not exactly small though. So is this better than a G1x or LX100 ?

I understand that it has conceptual advantages beyond a conventional camera but I am not so sure whether they are a killer.

It is the start, not the end. I see this as the most likely way for ever smaller devices to compete against traditional big sensors, at least for the mainstream markets.

If smartphones are credited with killing off low end compacts, something like this integrated into a future smartphone, could erode deeper into stand alone camera markets.

Anyway, as far as this particular implementation goes, I'll have to look at it more carefully in due course.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
It is very big and especially fat, not right for a smartphone. Other issues: How to keep all that glass clean? Only 3 focal lengths, how is that competing with system cameras? And the $1700 price, even when the introduction only is expected next summer? Why are there only small samples? And no example of determining DOF afterwards yet.

Nice ideas, but with lots of issues which make it no replacement for any system camera. 

No, if you're looking to buy a camera now, this is not it. This still wont be it next year assuming they launch on time. This is a 1st generation of a new product type. It wont be perfect from the start. But go a few more generations down the line, I think this is the next step for carry always (smartphone) photography.

The details are vague on this one, but it is supposed to have equivalent to 35-150mm optical zoom, and up to f/1.2, presumably at the wider end of that focal length. I'm sure future optimisation and miniaturisation will allow longer zoom ranges, and effective apertures limited by the size of the host device.

It wont cover every possible photography need, but I see it as expanding the reach of the smartphone class device. Outside of that mainstream core will remain what's left of the traditional photography market.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
The camera has 3 focal lengths: 5 x 35mm (FF equivalent) f2.4 (real value), 5 x 70mm (FF equivalent) f2.4 (real value) and 6 x 150mm (FF equivalent) f2.4 (real value).

Each lens has a 13mp sensor, upto 10 apparently can be used for a single "photo", resulting in 130mp data, and upto 52mp image resolution after computations.

Inbetween FOV's will be combined/cropped, apparently.

Indeed, I think "f1.2" DOF will be met at the 35mm end.

Longer "zoom ranges" can be met by either making the camera bigger, or the sensors smaller.

[Image: light-l16-camera-3310.0.jpg]