Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax 135 (FF) Body and 24-70mm Lens Update
Pentax Full Frame Official Teaser (Delayed)

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pen...-2016.html

Previously, it was slated for "market launch by the end of 2015".  Now it's Spring 2016.  

Maybe they are updating it to Sony's 42MP sensor?  Maybe they have to update the 645x series first as a consequence?  Maybe just regular hardware or software bugs?

HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Announced
http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pen...unced.html

Very Tamron-y.  Very very very very.  I'm talking about the plethora of prefix and suffix acronyms, of course....   Wink
Oh mask, I know thee...

I mean, this lens even looks a lot like the Tamron - they should've done better at disguising it. Or Sony might wonder that the sweetheart isn't all that faithful. Smile Though I have to admit - it's becoming a kind of Santa Barbara because didn't we all think that the real father was yet another one (after all, didn't Tokina also roll out a 24-70/2.8 lens around this time).

Hi Dave, I must say your looking dapper!

Remember the FF announcement night,  LOL!

Yeah Pentax "majoring" on FF delays as usual, you know autumn, winter ,spring ,late spring, early summer and so it goes......

And Oh the Tamron,  all dressed up for the ball, arrives late of course after midnight and turns into a Pentax green striped frog.........and yes it's the.................DA  DA!.....  oh no it's  the FA FA!....  without the * ?  (rhyme) 

Tamron,....no doubt about that.... but Pentax are saying it has a metal barrel and HD coatings...they whip out the VC module stick a plastic lens support in it's place, spray can the HD coatings on and stick the VC modules on ebay......nice surprise though it's the same price as the Tamron in the Canikon mount! 

If your going to rebadge a 24-70 F2.8 they probably couldn't have made a better choice., the lack of VC also should confirm the FF will have SR.

Quote:Tamron,....no doubt about that.... but Pentax are saying it has a metal barrel and HD coatings...they whip out the VC module stick a plastic lens support in it's place, spray can the HD coatings on and stick the VC modules on ebay......nice surprise though it's the same price as the Tamron in the Canikon mount! 

If your going to rebadge a 24-70 F2.8 they probably couldn't have made a better choice., the lack of VC also should confirm the FF will have SR.
That the already announced 70-200 and 150-450 didn't have stabilization was a dead giveaway that the IBIS is not going anywhere... one can get away with no stabilization in a 24-70 lens (Canon, I'm looking at you), much less in a 70-200 or an even longer telephoto. Dave, and concerning the price... Tamron does sell the Sony mount versions (with no apparent VC) for the same money as the Canon / Nikon ones. So we couldn't wait for anything different here.

Quote:That the already announced 70-200 and 150-450 didn't have stabilization was a dead giveaway that the IBIS is not going anywhere... one can get away with no stabilization in a 24-70 lens (Canon, I'm looking at you), much less in a 70-200 or an even longer telephoto. Dave, and concerning the price... Tamron does sell the Sony mount versions (with no apparent VC) for the same money as the Canon / Nikon ones. So we couldn't wait for anything different here.
  Well it's certainly a nice surprise, I was expecting it to be a couple of hundred bucks more expensive with the Pentax badge on  it, like it was with the Tamron 18-270mm. Still I think Pentax are staking out quite an investment here with the FF, the camera could be a make or break deal, they've got to go for sell sell sell,  I would hate to think what would happen if they got stuck on the shelves!
Success is far from assured for them. I can understand those who have old Pentax lenses on the shelf, hoping for a matching body... years and years on. But first of all, their number can't be very large - certainly not enough to vindicate all the R&D and other expenses - and then again, all those lenses are OLD... in the last 15 years, new competitors have sprung up and technology has evolved by leaps and bounds. I can understand that the Pentax had their own "holy trinity" - the 31, 43 and 77 lenses - but they're all dated, screw-driven and question marks of various sizes hang over each of them in the optical quality department when dense digital sensors are involved (see PZ's own reviews - the 43 was especially woeful but the 77 wasn't very thrilling either; the 31 is pretty fine but it remains to be seen how good it is on FF where all the ugly edges are shown). Meanwhile, Sigma and Tamron have made strides in their design but their newest and bestest lenses are available for most mounts... though sometimes not Pentax anymore. So Pentax/Ricoh needs to act quickly and decisively, lest they be hit with the same stick as Sony a while ago: "Not enough lenses!"

Quote:Hi Dave, I must say your looking dapper!

Heh, heh, thanks kindly.  The old profile pic was more photographer-y, but a bit dated.  This one is a bit more current.

Hope more long-time members add profile pics.  I know many photographers don't like to be photographed themselves but it's certainly nicer for our community to put faces to names (ok, handles) than boring old default silhouettes.  Heh heh...
Quote:Success is far from assured for them.  I can understand that the Pentax had their own "holy trinity" - the 31, 43 and 77 lenses - but they're all dated, screw-driven and question marks of various sizes hang over each of them in the optical quality department when dense digital sensors are involved (see PZ's own reviews - the 43 was especially woeful but the 77 wasn't very thrilling either; the 31 is pretty fine but it remains to be seen how good it is on FF where all the ugly edges are shown). Meanwhile, Sigma and Tamron have made strides in their design but their newest and bestest lenses are available for most mounts... though sometimes not Pentax anymore. So Pentax/Ricoh needs to act quickly and decisively, lest they be hit with the same stick as Sony a while ago: "Not enough lenses!"
  Yes all will be revealed with the Pentax FF body at the edges, but it may not be such a disappointment, the old Nikon AF-D series lenses in screw-drive are looking very good on the D750. (a thread to follow)

I think there's somewhat of a misconception about FF sensors being demanding, yes they test a lens's performance at the edges, but there are having an easier time everywhere else, given a 30X20 cms print size it's the APSc sensor that tests the lens's resolution and struggles the most purely because of magnification. 

My findings from the D750 and D7100 with the Tamron 150-600mm and the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR both of which are only decent on APSc, are that they suddenly look more like quality lenses on FF.

I think many will be pleasantly surprised by the results from some of this old Pentax glass, but even that obviously can't redeem the lack of modern designs.  

I think if things go forward we will be seeing a lot more re-badged Tamrons!

Quote:  Yes all will be revealed with the Pentax FF body at the edges, but it may not be such a disappointment, the old Nikon AF-D series lenses in screw-drive are looking very good on the D750. (a thread to follow)

I think there's somewhat of a misconception about FF sensors being demanding, yes they test a lens's performance at the edges, but there are having an easier time in everywhere else, given a 30X20 cms print size it's the APSc sensor that tests the lens's resolution and struggles the most purely because of magnification. 

My findings from the D750 and D7100 with the Tamron 150-600mm and the Nikon AF-S 70-300 VR both of which are only decent on APSc, are that they suddenly look more like quality lenses on FF.

I think many will be pleasantly surprised by the results from some of this old Pentax glass, but even that obviously can't redeem the lack of modern designs.  

I think if things go forward we will be seeing a lot more re-badged Tamrons!
Well, most of those AF-D lenses (like 35/2, 85/1.4...) didn't do too well in tests done here at PZ. The new AF-S ones usually run circles around them (I hope Markus does catch up with Nikon's pace of releases soon...) It was similar on the Canon side, even though at times the other tendency you speak of is rearing it's head (when a lens is no longer able to benefit from the smaller image circle, and is coming under pressure from much increased pixel density...)

Well, if Pentax is going that route - rebadges - I think they're doing themselves no favour in the long run. Not to mention that Tamron is still pretty short on primes, and even the recent 1.8 twins are but a step to amending that (unlike Sigma who has filled out the high-end lineup nicely (maybe a 135 would be handy, but just maybe - I have no idea how many people are interested in this), and may get to the mid- and lower range someday). So they'll have to get to the drawing boards themselves.

Quote:Well, most of those AF-D lenses (like 35/2, 85/1.4...) didn't do too well in tests done here at PZ.
  This is true and I started out with little intention of getting anything other than the AF20 F2.8D, It doesn't look anything special in the reviews, but it is a sharp lens easily to the edges and only softening in the extreme corners (and I mean extreme) so I tried the 24mm which is very sharp hasn't corner issues.The AF-35 F2D is a lovely lens,compact and sharp (again extreme,extreme corners F11 is needed if your looking at 100%, but realistically who is?

The AFS series is undoubtedly better, but, BIG, plasticy and expensive for what they are in my view, if you're out and about with the modern FFs your now carrying a lot of kit, and the only weight saving is in your wallet.

Here's my new out and about kit, D750+ AFD 35.  AFD 20..AF24. + AF 55mm micro in a nice small bag...................................... The newly ordered  AF28-85mm F3.5-4.5 micro is on it's way to replace the 55 micro as a walk around, price 40 euros!

If you want sharp,solid, light and reliable (probably for life) and love buying bargains, buy AFD and crop 5% "if" you really need tack sharp to the corners.

If your wallet is deep (bottomless) and your wife loves carrying half of your heavy zooms and modern fixed focals, buy the latest gear brand new! 

PS. The 55mm macro is ludicrously sharp! (to the corners and probably beyond)

I[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Dropbox link to a RAW image from the AF 35mm F2 @F9

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lr1ym5mouf9rqi...n=61566586