Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Quote:So at the end of the day there's simply no win-win in sight.  :lol:
Certainly a complex problem with no easy solution. One route is to eliminate the sensor altogether so you're comparing lens with lens, but possibly lose relevancy if there might be factors introduced by sensors that wont get captured this way (like the sensor filter thickness effect).

For any user visiting this (or other) sites, what are they trying to achieve? To find the best lens for a system they already have is likely a major one. The only problem here is that you can't test everything. So they find a lens on another system (or different body in same system) and try to compare that way.

As a general question, I guess the maximum of a system will be limited by the sensor characteristics, but how do you decide how far to drop for each step of the ranking?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Starting with the price drop of the initial EOS M in January I have bought the whole sytem since then and must say that up to now I am deeply impressed by its potential and performance. Though I respect Klaus' expertise when it comes to testing very much, he is not very fair when it comes to the performance of the EOS M. The often criticized AF for example is perfectly ok, unless you want to shoot racing cars or fast running animals. Otherwise it is very good for 95% of all usages. All lenses of the M system are really worth their money and outdo their EF-S cousins. Especially the a.m. 22mm and the wideangle lens 11-22mm are stellar performers, but also the kit zoom and the tele really convince with their performance.

Above all the M feels good and valuable in your hands. I was really critical of mirrorless cameras for a long time and I must admit that only the radical price drop made me purchase this cam, but I haven't regretted one moment. What's more, I can easily adapt my old Canon FD lenses and transfer them into the digital age. I can tell you, using an FD 1.2/50mm on the M is really something special.

I found out, reading across a lot of forums, that most people who put the M into a bad light, have not had much experience with it, while all those, who use it regularly, are actually very satisfied.
Quote:Starting with the price drop of the initial EOS M in January I have bought the whole sytem since then and must say that up to now I am deeply impressed by its potential and performance. Though I respect Klaus' expertise when it comes to testing very much, he is not very fair when it comes to the performance of the EOS M. The often criticized AF for example is perfectly ok, unless you want to shoot racing cars or fast running animals. Otherwise it is very good for 95% of all usages. All lenses of the M system are really worth their money and outdo their EF-S cousins. Especially the a.m. 22mm and the wideangle lens 11-22mm are stellar performers, but also the kit zoom and the tele really convince with their performance.

Above all the M feels good and valuable in your hands. I was really critical of mirrorless cameras for a long time and I must admit that only the radical price drop made me purchase this cam, but I haven't regretted one moment. What's more, I can easily adapt my old Canon FD lenses and transfer them into the digital age. I can tell you, using an FD 1.2/50mm on the M is really something special.

I found out, reading across a lot of forums, that most people who put the M into a bad light, have not had much experience with it, while all those, who use it regularly, are actually very satisfied.
The AF is not bad, it is accurate. But that is the case with most mirrorless cameras. The AF is slower than the AF from most other mirrorless cameras, though. And since it is mentioned by every review, it is what people focus on. Even if it is not too slow to actually be a problem. And some mirrorless cameras focus so fast, that you can use them in some action ways.

The AF with video, for the M's, that is the smoothest. 

The M and (M2) feels very well built, but the M3 Klaus has does not nearly feel as sturdy. I bought an M for its very low price. I like how it is put together. I like the sensor output well enough. I dislike having to look at the LCD, I am an OVF kind of guy I guess. I like how the touch screen is implemented, I hate that you can't shut it off, so you always have accidental operations going on.

You can use FD lenses on most other mirrorless cameras too, so that is not a plus for the M. I can use my 55mm f1.2  (Canon and Nikkor) both on my M and on my 6D. I prefer the 6D by far. And i could use them on Sony mirrorless things, on those from Olympus, on those from Fuji.

I still do not find myself using the M much, I may yet find a niche where it comes very handy.

You use an FD lens on the 6D? How do you cope with the heavy loss of quality caused by the adapter? I tried it once too and quickly sold the adapter (mind you, none of the cheap ones!) again.

Having lots of EF lenses that I can use easily on the M, buying an Olympus or Sony DSLM is no option for me.
Depends on the adapter? Or even do a mount conversion to EF.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:You use an FD lens on the 6D? How do you cope with the heavy loss of quality caused by the adapter? I tried it once too and quickly sold the adapter (mind you, none of the cheap ones!) again.

Having lots of EF lenses that I can use easily on the M, buying an Olympus or Sony DSLM is no option for me.
I converted my FL 55mm f1.2 to EOS mount (with an Ed Mika kit).

So, the 55mm behaves like a 55mm, no TC effect.