Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handheld macrophotography: canon 100mm IS vs sigma 150mm OS
Thanks, I understand!

I triee to measure DOF taking pictures of a ruler, but indeed, it's hard to see...

Next week I'll try both lenses in a store.
Just say goodbye to the idea, the DoF range is a range where everything in it is a precisely sharp in focus as you see the things you put the focus right on. As you said, it's hard to see, but can be measured in theory, if one is defining the "sharp enough" appearance. You might want to look at various test results here in Photozone in the last column of a lens test where they do the analysis. Often you see a ruler and above aperture numbers. By hovering the mouse over the numbers the picture changes. Here's a sample of it 

Now, the question is what is sharp enough for you? If you really want maximum sharpness in a given range, focus-stacking would be a (time-consuming) way to go, at least for not moving subjects.

Interesting!
Here you can read more about focus-stacking: http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-p...con-focus/

I always wondered, why there's no camera around with inbuilt capacities. helicon is also available for iOS and Android, but still - carrying around another device is the thing I don't want.

Camera with inbuilt focus stack ability: Any Canon with Magic/Tragic lantern installed (and AF lens, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRVXuc6Yt4

It seems to be possible to install Magic Lantern on my 6D.

No time to try it out these days, but it looks promising
Quote:It seems to be possible to install Magic Lantern on my 6D.

No time to try it out these days, but it looks promising
I have it on my 6D, and certain things I do use at times. Have not yet tried any focus stacking, so also not that functionality. I do use a number of manual focus lenses, and on my EOS M (with tragic lantern) focus peeking I use sometimes. And the trap focus on the 6D with ML works very nicely.
It's really something I should try. But first I hope to try the new macrolenses this friday. Hopefully I can make a decision. 

But whatever it will be, both lenses are good, I think.
I went to a store nearby today. I made some shots with the Canon 100mm IS and the Sigma 150 mm OS.

In my hands the Canon IS seemed to be better, so I bought the Canon. And I am happy Wink

Thanks to you all!

Nice to read you came to a decision! I hope you will enjoy your new lens a lot . I might put my Tamron 90mm macro on my 6D this week too, to do some dutch autumn exploring.