Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
portraits prime choice
I am actually using 100mm f2.8 along with 50mm f1,4 for potraits and happy with the results.

I am most of the time on 100mm macro, in some shots I feel I need more backround blurr.

considering either canon 85f1.8 or some manual focus 85f1.4

would it add something ? which way do you recommend I go ?

The Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM is a pretty nice lens, with very fast AF. Its loCA may need some correcting at times. 

Manual 85mm f1.4's may need a Canon super precision focus screen, I think the one for the 5D is called Ee-S?

Which one would you be thinking of? There is a Zeiss 85mm f1.4, old Nikkor 85mm f1.4's which can be used with adapter, Samyang 85mm f1.4, you can even convert a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 to EOS mount.

The SIgma 85mm f1.4 offers AF, but it does not offer much more blur than the Canon (oddly enough).

And then there is of course also the new Mitakon 85mm f1.2. 

Currently I would not invest in a Sigma 85/1.4 as there are some rumors about an Art-version coming

The Sigma has no plusses over the Canon, so even if there is no ART version coming, I would not recommend it.

I would get a Sigma 85/1.4. I regret not doing so when I had the opportunity. Even if the Art version comes out soon, it will be sold at a price premium.

Was considering the Samyang 85mm f1.4 however would it be worth the efforts versus 100mm f2.8 ?

Canon 100mm f2.8 is just a great lens, razor sharp with wonderful colors, nothing to complain about, having just 85f1.4 would it give me any advantage visible in prints ?? I don't want dust collecting items, besides a manual focus Samyang  would be hard to sell if it turns out of very little utility

You said you thought you needed more shallow DOF (you worded it "more background blur).

For sharpness, your 100mm f2.8 is fine, so for that reason there is no need to look at a 85mm f1.4.

If you still think you need more shallow DOF at times:

The 100mm f2.8 has a 100/2.8 = 35.7mm aperture

A 85mm f1.4 should have a 85 / 1.4 = 60.7mm aperture.

It will have more or less 100 / 35.7 x 60.7 = 170 -> 70 % more background blur.

It ifs upto you (the photographer) to determine what is most important, per situation. Sharpness or shallow DOF.