Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backup with too many duplicates, how to solve ?
I know that you're not bitching  Smile Just because there's so much of a difference and also learning curve, if one goes from file system/Windows to a database, which is mostly creating links.

But of course, with JPGs it's a different story in terms of diskspace.

I just like to describe the way Aperture, LR or C1 sort of "work", some better, some worse. In Aperture, I don't need to think about folder/file names, that's completely Aperture's job (which also detects dunplicates if I try to import files twice - I can, but I get a warning message).

At the import, I can choose to create a new folder (within the database, not directly connected to the internal structure of the library), new project, new album. Project could be "Kiev 2017-10", within the project albums like "parks", "nightlife", "architecture", "churches". That's a normal album and you see, some pictures would fit in more than 1 category. Or get more than one keyword. Like a church in a park at night-time with an interesting architecture.

The link to such pictures would be point to the same source, but appear in all three albums.

If I work only with keywords (I don't, I suck in discipline), I could create smart albums like "Keyword contains "church", AND "architecture" AND "nightlife"....) These smart albums are updated constantly at the moment the chosen criteria apply to a new picture.

Smart albums find pictures like

"Camera Name = D810 AND serial number contains 2365 AND focal length between 10 and 15 mm AND aperture between f/1.4 and f/5.6 AND shooting distance between 0.5 and 2 m AND face belongs to "Rover" or "JoJu"". Aperture uses all EXIF info, including Nikon's special EXIFs like metering mode or picture control setting. And all that without any effort of me - just because the files contain the necessary data or the faces are tagged with face detection.

That's smart albums - there are also smart slideshows, lighttables or books which I don't use often, contrary to the albums.

Of the files in Aperture I can lookup how much pictures I made with a certain lens. This year or last decade or the last 90 days. Or in a certain geotagged location. So one part of teh library is a tightly fixed structure administrated by Aperture and I only touch it, if something is broken (but Aperture also has a three step trouble shooting routine which ususally speeds up the 1.4 TB library)

Do that with a file based system - you need some kind of metadata catalogue and move one folder accidentally, you need to fix the structure. And to find all animal portraits you did between 2013 and 2015 - wll I guess you need to scroll through the folders?

At the beginning I had troubles to understand the concept. That was 12 years ago. Today I miss these well-thought concept every day I start up Capture One.

Quote:Winamp does have a library
Well, so does C1 now, but "back then" both didn't Wink Sorry, haven't used WinAmp for more than a decade, I just used it as an example for your preferred style of workflow, which is folder-based. Been there, too, used folder and winamp exclusively, until I tried the iTunes way, eventually.

The advantages are maybe more obvious for music: easily find all music by Sting in your library, even if it's a single track on a compilation, or find all metal music from the 90s.

For images, JoJu summed it up very nicely. I use smart folders for example to sort the MTF shots by aperture. It's an empty smart album with subfolders by aperture setting. Just throw the whole set of test chart images at it and find it sorted as needed by aperture immediately.
Or search for images shot with a given lens... maybe not a common task, but a feature I use quite often when collecting sample images for reviews, especially for lenses I have used for longer than just a few days.
Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:From the file size perspective, storage devices are becoming larger and cheaper, one terabye was a huge amount of data when I got my 300D in 2004 now that's nothing so wasting space with big files in never a problem in my bood
It is over here. PZ data is exlusively on an 8 TB drive over here, there's some space left on it currently, but it's filling up and will definitely fill a lot faster in the upcoming months after the D850 arrives here. And that's just storage... not talking about backup of that amount of data...
Editor
opticallimits.com

JoJo, if you are worried about photos being corrupted during copying, you could use something like Git to manage the files. This creates hashes of the repository, so will spot issues.

Quote:JoJo, if you are worried about photos being corrupted during copying, you could use something like Git to manage the files. This creates hashes of the repository, so will spot issues.
What is Git exactly ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git

a version control system, originally written to for the linux kernal by Linus Torvalds. Its really designed for tracking source code for software, but you can stick any binary file you like in it and it will track it. If you change the file you can check in a new version of that file and Git will keep track of both copies. If you're working on text files there are other things you can do such as performing a diff to see the changes or merging changes in other branches.

Quote:JoJo, if you are worried about photos being corrupted during copying, you could use something like Git to manage the files. This creates hashes of the repository, so will spot issues.

No, photos are comparatively small. It were some movies I ripped from my own DVDs and copied to another HD - using a double bay which was supposed to do 1:1 copies from source to target. It was an experiment, I was already suspecting that process would not work so well as Mac OS is pretty picky in terms of disk structures.

But then: Using a separate app to be sure you have a copy? Is that what we want, we need? Not for me - I expect an OS to be able to manage these processes. Mac OS is, the firmware of that bay is not - lesson learnt. I wanted to save some bandwidth and processor time during one day of copying.
I can see where you're coming from.  B) But so far, the system I'm using hasn't bothered me much. If I need to find something, I'm usually doing a basic filesystem search - it's not that I need to find something by its EXIF entries (like focal length and whatnot) very often. If I have it described, I will eventually find it.

Another thing is, as the database size grows, there may be hiccups. That's why the data in my mail.ru cloud has to be updated manually - at some point the tray utility has stopped working and I never found out why; presumably due to the sheer amount of entries (200K+ files, not only photos, by then).

BTW Markus, this is the 18th year since I began using Winamp. Smile The library appeared sometime in mid-2000s but after a short spell I gave up using it. I have a pretty good idea what I have on hand, and at any given time I'm usually listening to just a few artists until I get bored and switch to the next bunch. Rinse, repeat, rotate. Smile Besides, only two artists have remained in my toplist (to be spun regularly) for the last 15/20 years (Vangelis and Iron Maiden), the rest come and (sometimes) go. I have no appetite for Blackmore's Night now, for example, but give me (pretty much) anything with harsh vocals.  :lol:

With growing folder quantities, your system also slows down  Wink

I know of people who did the transition from Aperture to Capture One and have an annual growing rate of around 1.5 TB - they organize their libraries by year and then are done. Although I suspect the presenter of Capture One himself nearly panicked because they might try around 100MB or so and are happy if it no crashes on a daily basis...  <_<

iTunes grew up to 500 GB and the response time after a search is a fraction of a second. All I want to say: It's terribly comfortable to work with a cool database system. And you're terribly f***ed up if the prgrammers decide to take a sabbatical...

We started using Winamp roughly at roughly the similar time, then... I think 1.91 was the first version I downloaded Smile I even bought a license for it when it still was shareware, and I had some really nice custom skins for it, too Smile

I had similar hearing habits, just like you. In fact, when I considered switching to the Mac in 2006 (when they switched to Intel CPUs), I spent quite some time looking for a Mac application that offered the same features as winamp: browse my Music folders and just play or queue whatever I double-click on. It took me a while to accept that there is nothing similar on the Mac and I might eventually have to have a closer look to iTunes (Winamp was running in VMWare at that time...). Once I did... well, see JoJu's post above, "12 years ago" Wink

Not arguing in favor of any approach: both have their advantages. I like that I can search across my whole library when I'm looking for something and get instant results while typing already. However, there is music that I used to listen to quite often "back then", but because it didn't have proper tags, it got lost somewhere in the back of the library database and only get's rediscovered when I use search phrases that happen to be part of their file names.

I even subscribed to streaming services by now. They have disadvantages and I feel that listening habits can easily be "mainstreamed" by their suggestions and moderated playlists, however I also discovered lots of music on Spotify that I really enjoy and that would have never gotten my attention otherwise.
Editor
opticallimits.com