Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ouch!
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
It is Sony only...just kidding. You were hit by elephant?
Dropped - my fault, a clamp not completely fastened - from less than 1mt on the gravel in a trail. I still don't understand the details: it happened in a flash and when I looked down I just saw the two pieces.

Curiously, the only signs of the impact are on the hood (that was mounted in the extended position). No signs on the other parts, camera included. It seems that it broke in two pieces just because of the torque provoked by the shock in the hood. In a plastic mount that was keeping the two parts together, fastened by screws, the plastic all around the screws broke.

I still hope it can be repaired, because the two pieces have no apparent damage and no piece of glass was scratched.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
The authorised repair service here in Italy has been extremely quick so far: I sent the broken lens yesterday by courier, and I just got the quote. It's roughly 400€ cheaper than the most optimistic estimate for buying a new lens. The only question I'd like to put here is: is it safe to assume that, if an authorised repair service says that the thing can be fixed, I'll get a lens whose quality has been completely restored... right? :-) I've only broken and repaired a lens before (it was Nikon (*)) and at the time I didn't even ask myself the question... but at the time I wasn't reasonably competent in terms of IQ as I'm now, so it was not a concern, or a thing that I could evaluate. Now I can, and I think I should.

stoppingdown.net

I try to look at it from the other side: In terms of reliability you could also get a new one being a lemon. At lensrentals they showed a teardown of a Sony lens with a glue problem some time ago...

I had a couple of repairs at Nikon and never noticed something worse than before, so I guess, Nikon Switzerland is doing a good job. Once I was at the Sigma representative repair central (one man show, I guess, but don't know) and I didn't get the impression of a well equipped lab - but then, good repair skills maybe don't need highly expensive testing devices?

Your question only could answered by an Italian customer of Sony with a similar problem - and even then, you don't know if the same technician works on your lens.

But with a look at sustainability, I'd give it a try instead of throwing away the parts. 

Quote: 

I try to look at it from the other side: In terms of reliability you could also get a new one being a lemon. At lensrentals they showed a teardown of a Sony lens with a glue problem some time ago...

I think the same. While my other two Sony lenses have something do be desired, my SEL70200G was definitely good.

Quote:but then, good repair skills maybe don't need highly expensive testing devices?

I suppose they need that, but I don't have doubts that with this respect the lab is ok.

Quote:But with a look at sustainability, I'd give it a try instead of throwing away the parts. 

I think I'll do. I've also discussed the thing with two friends of mine and it looks like we're all aligned. On the other side, it's a way to build some experience with that lab. Sure, it would have been better if it happened with a less expensive damage... but it went that way.

Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Just to take the opportunity of this thread... For the future, I was guessing whether there's some form of reasonable insurance to cover me in case of these accidents. I don't think, in the sense that fortunately they happened seldom enough. In fifteen years, I dropped two lenses. A lens and a camera body failed in the electronics after the warranty expiration, and at a certain point I found a heavily decentered lens with no apparent reasons - I suppose someone in my family dropped it and didn't told me.  Rolleyes  I suppose it lies in the normal rate of accidents and the overall costs are still less than those of an insurance...

stoppingdown.net

Just rub rub some salt into the Sony-wound.... I bought a Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L USM a bit over 10 years ago. It has tumbled off a flight of stairs with its hood attached, coming to rest on the concrete floor below the stairs. The hood broke its fall at an angle, splitting open over its entire length. The lens was fine. The lens later took a tumble from about 1 meter height onto the concrete tiles of the side walk. The lens did not break. Later, my backpack filled with camera and lenses fell off my bike while biking around the city, onto the bike path. The lens hood of my Sigma 18-50 pressed into the plastic switch plate of the lens, which broke that plate. For the rest, the lens works as it should.

If the repair attempt fails, there's still something to do with it:

[Image: dslr-lamp1.jpg]

Found that on http://www.jimonlight.com when I was looking for "otus with reversed lenshood"

Okay, some people would not want to sit under a Sony light. But they still could snap pictures of it and tell their friends...

LOL. Anyway, in case of failure of a repair, I'd be more practical. First, try to sell the parts on eBay, just in case some self-made repair shop wants to cannibalise them. If it fails, I'd unmount it for the sake of curiosity of seeing how it's inside. Sure, the final, unmounted parts might be anyway recycled in creative ways as you showed.

stoppingdown.net