Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR / OS comparison - would you like to contribute?
Image stabilisation, vibration reduction, Optical stabilization and in German simply the Anti-wobble gobble or something like that.

That's what's PZ isn't testing and I reckon, it's simply hard to test without adding the heart frequency, volume of coffee involved and age of the lens holder. So, one can compare for him-/herself and maybe this applies to others?

I just recently was surprised by quite a difference between some Nikon and some Sigma lenses in my posession, which I posted here. But that thread is about the new Nikon 24-70/2.8 VR and I don't want to pollute it more than I already did.

So, what is your experience with some lenses from various manufacturers / generations? What is your sharpest "Even-in-a-hurricane-I-can-shoot-my-500mm-at-1/15" piece of glass?

In particular I was surprised that no Nikon lens was more resisting to my tremor than a couple of Sigmas, like here in an extreme:

[Image: i-3pzBwwh-L.jpg]

Sigma 24-105 (left) vs Micro Nikkor 105/2.8 (right) @ 1/10

At some stage I was considering to start testing this formally using some kind of vibration table (available on ebay actually).

However, the thing is ... the real life isn't quite as simple. You just don't have static shake frequencies. 

It's not even a personal thing - I shake more or less depending on a variety of side conditions (coffee, wind, adrenalin, stress level, fitness level, heart rate ... you name it).

So honestly I just don't know how to automated this in a way that yields MEANINGFUL results.

Feel free to come up with suggestions.

My idea was to compare the lenses at the same focal length, distance, aperture and shutter speed at auto-ISO, in the same condition and shortly after each other. I had my doubts what a huge difference in weight will do, if the heavier lens has some advantage. I am aware I can't compare other people's results to mine and I'm thinking it's impossible to rate the results - you pointed out the reasons. Others are breathing or relaxing techniques, shutter vibration.

I just had in mind how many people at NRF usually have VR on their wish lists for new lenses. So there's a demand for that feature but also a lot of blurb around it and even the convincement, a lens without that VR element is always sharper than one with VR or the convincement Nikon's VR is better than Sigma's copy of it. Should I put the rest of the comparison screenshots here? I was too lazy to link another 4 pictures last night.