Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok, so let's discuss of long tele options for the A6000
I don't plan to buy anything for this year, but I've started collecting some information to evaluate the available options, just in case I should conclude, at the end of the year, that there's no "native" choices in the 2016 roadmap.

As I suspected, reasoning with different mounts and adapter is a mess, because of a number of factors.

Anyway: let's say I'm thinking of two distinct solutions: first a birding lens, light for carrying along in a hike, hand-holdable, to replace the Nikkor AF-S 300 f/4. Quite simple: it doesn't exist and so it's not a thing I can even start thinking about. The second solution is a longer zoom, that would be definitely heavier, so not for hikes, but to use in short walks or from the car; for landscapes also, stationary birds or wildlife, even though I'd like it to have AF fast enough at least for trying some simpler case of birds in flight.

I see four possible options:

1. SAL-70400G2 via Sony A-E mount adapter;

2. Canon EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM II via Metabones adapter;

3. Tamron SP AF 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD via either Sony A-E or Metabones adapter in Canon mount;

4. Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary in Canon mount via Metabones adapter.

There are rumours about a Nikon adapter which supports AF, available at the end of the year, which would open other possibilities, but I prefer to wait and see it for real before taking it into consideration.

There are weight, but especially wild price differences. I'll think of them later. First I need some technical information.

First, I don't understand whether I need the Sony LE-A1 or LE-A2 adapter for having fast AF with the A-mount lenses. Apparently the LE-A1 is enough, because those lenses have their own motor, but if I understand well it wouldn't support PDAF. Honestly, the LE-A2 would close the discussion for me, as it sounds absurd to have a mirrorless system and add an adapter with a sort of mirror inside.

Second, if I understand well, the Tamron in A-mount doesn't have stabilisation, so it would be not an option.

Third, I'd like to understand how the Metabones adapter for Canon AF performs.

All in all, I see good chances that none of the possible choices is working.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
It already sounds absurd to have a mirrorless system designed to be compact, and add an adapter and a long kilo's heavy lens... Wink

:o  Every year I plan not to buy any gear, but I always find some excuse!

2.5 Kgs of long lens and adapter on an A6000?  Hmmm.....

How are you planning on holding it? Not even counting whether it will work for the demanding task of BIF!

BTW. I spend precious seconds shooting with my Tamron/D750/D7100 and labourious  hours lugging it around.   :o

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Quote:It already sounds absurd to have a mirrorless system designed to be compact, and add an adapter and a long kilo's heavy lens... Wink

Clearly less absurd than adding yet one more piece  Wink

For the 150-600, no, I don't plan to hand hold it for moving subjects. It would go most of the times on the tripod, on a bean bag, on the car window mount or a monopod. The reasonably light, hand held, birding lens ("solution #1" in my previous post) has just no options now. In theory, the newest Nikkor 300mm E could be an option _if_ existed a Nikon adapter with support for stabilisation and AF. More realistically, I hope to see some similar lens from other brands in 2016/2017.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
I planned to buy A6000 but bought GX7 because of the lens line up...Sony does everything and nothing...
Of those options, be aware Canon zoom direction is opposite to Sony/Nikon. Sigma can't make their mind up.

You could try looking for videos of the adapted AF on youtube. I think the ones I've seen are mostly for A7 family so may not apply to the 6000.

Wildcard solution: Nikon CX 70-300 with body to match?
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I see, many things about the A7. There are a few blogs that praise the A6000 + Tamron 150-600, but they are about static subjects.

The Nikon CS had been evaluated two years ago as a possible solution for the mirrorless world, but the sensor is too small for my tastes.

If there are not options, I can wait. I'm focusing more on landscapes at the moment, and I won't break my back (yet...) some short walk with the old equipment. 

stoppingdown.net

A couple of times I was tempted to try the Nikon CX. With their genuine 70-300 it comes close to light weight solution and is supposed to be reasonably fast. However, if you think about 1,9 kg Sigma or Tamron I don't see much of a reduced weight. Or size. Yesterday I saw a rucksack big enough for the Sports version with attached lenshood. On second look I thought "really big enough??", doubted and left it in the shop.

Also, when I put it on Gimbal head I realize some axial play in the mount, even more so with a converter. An additional adapter plus the smallish A6000? Everything is alright, I'm sure, but it feels kind of wobbly.

The Nikon 300/4 PF E is now in my bag. More often than the Sigma, for which I only have a big bag but none to carry around while walking. But I'm still doubting if the VR fix a couple of months ago worked out. There are taboo-shutterpeeds, still. And it is bloody expensive, too, while not remarkably better performing at 300 mm than the Sigma - that's what I think today with the extra thought "but maybe it's the photographer who should learn how to use it?".

Anyway, I used it in dim light and it worked out well, so my complaints should focus on my skills more than on the lens.

Prices are a problem for some of those lenses. On the other hand, the 1.000€ for the Tamron or Sigma 160-600mm is such a bargain for that value that I think it will be hard to find anything better for years. Had they an E-mount, I'd have already planned a buy.

stoppingdown.net

Why not a Canon or Nikon APS-C DSLR with a Sigma / Tamron lens?