Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Canon EF 11-24mm f/4 USM L ... on APS-C
Nice albeit not perfect

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/9...1124_4apsc

What? You can't rate the optical performance on FF, but you can on 1.6× crop? :blink:  Don't understand. Also, what your scale of "perfection" might be and which lens does fullfill all demands?

I mean, this lens is probably about the best you can get in this focal range - other opinions are welcome. I've seen samples made with a Sony 7 R II and it shines! Maybe the bodies of Canon are not up to date and "high MP count only".

I don't get it either!

You've just gone out and bought a lens of a lifetime, and whilst your wallet is still trembling in it's boots you mortgage your grand parents to the hilt for a Canon 5DS 50 Mps image making monster.............. and then as you download these multimegapixel files you realize the whole thing was a total disaster enough  to rival the USA's national dept...............,and  so in order to climb out of this hole you finally sell your wife to your best friend to buy a Canon 7D Mk II??????

Hey, hold up some baby... best take up jogging or maybe become an alcoholic or something affordable like that!   :wub:  :ph34r:  :blink:   Rolleyes

Seriously, I guess when a lens hits this price bracket it puts it head in the noose, at least in the APSc gallows the lever wasn't pulled! 

Dave's clichés
In reality, the lens makes pretty nice images on a 5DS®, when you correct CA.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1...0#13108496

That is not too shabby at all at the edge....

I know the crops on this website are not too reliable, but look:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revie...&APIComp=2

The corners at 11mm for the Canon 11-24mm look better than those of the much lauded Samyang 14mm at 14mm.

http://petapixel.com/2015/03/02/review-c...m-f4l-usm/

To be fair (I think): It is a very impressive lens.

Quote:What? You can't rate the optical performance on FF, but you can on 1.6× crop? :blink:  Don't understand. Also, what your scale of "perfection" might be and which lens does fullfill all demands?

I will provide a rating on the 5Ds R.

The point is that I need a broader guidance first. The Sigma 24mm Art hasn't received a rating either.

This is, of course, much easier on the 7D II - after all 20mp vs 15mp is just an evolution whereas the 50mp vs 20mp is a bit more than that. Don't you agree ?

"Perfection" doesn't exist. We'll provide a 5* rating for the cream of the cappuccino - thus the best 5% max.

The Canon got a 4* rating which is darn good, don't you think ? However, this is a 3000$ lens which doesn't perform any better than the Sigma 8-16mm. Thus it is a little hard to be overly enthusiastic, don't you think ?

Klaus

In that aspect, you can rate down a couple of FF lenses on APS-C, can't you?

I belive you see what we're finding a little bit weird: Buying a 3k$ lens for a tiny little sensor - when will that happen? And I seriously doubt, a 8-16 mm APS-C picture will transport the same information and the same emotion what the FF with that lens will bring on your HD. Print it, then say again "doesn't perform any better"  Wink

Mind you, if that would be true, everybody with high MP FF and suiting glass would just be a little bit (or five little bits) stupid. I sort of disbelieve that.  Rolleyes

Quote:In that aspect, you can rate down a couple of FF lenses on APS-C, can't you?

I belive you see what we're finding a little bit weird: Buying a 3k$ lens for a tiny little sensor - when will that happen? And I seriously doubt, a 8-16 mm APS-C picture will transport the same information and the same emotion what the FF with that lens will bring on your HD. Print it, then say again "doesn't perform any better"  Wink

Mind you, if that would be true, everybody with high MP FF and suiting glass would just be a little bit (or five little bits) stupid. I sort of disbelieve that.  Rolleyes

Where did I say that the 8-16mm delivers better result than the 11-24L on full format ?

I don't do cross system comparisons .... :-)

I agree that the test on APS-C isn't overly meaningful but the lens was here thus I gave it a quick check. No more, no less.

Honestly I am getting requests for doing more obscure tests than this one ...
Quote:Honestly I am getting requests for doing more obscure tests than this one ...
Well, I have to agree on that  Big Grin

It just doesn't make sense to me, no matter how much more weird requests there are around.

Let's not go into "where did I say ..." type of sentences. By saying "However, this is a 3000$ lens which doesn't perform any better than the Sigma 8-16mm" you triggered the conclusion "he's saying the picture looks just the same."

Anyway, not my system, this overrated 50MP sensor doesn't impress me at all. Interesting though that Canon is stumbeling over the same problems Nikon had with the shutters of the D800/E series and also the Sony α 7R (the "old" version).