Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did all the long lenses for FE mount go?
The A7 & A7r along with the full frame E mount were announced on Oct 13, 2015... That's less than two years ago.

Since then, Sony had continuously released lenses but no 70-400 because that was just a fake rumour.

A company like Sony can't realistically release more than 5 or 6 new (refreshes don't count) lenses per year. This year the new lenses included 35/1.4 & 90 Macro.

I guess that if they released a 70-400 instead of the 90 Macro, you'd be happy but someone else would post a message like "where are the macro lenses ?"

During the A mount, Sony released a few 2.8 zooms. And the forums were full of "where are the F4 zooms ?" messages. Now Sony released F4 zooms for the FE mount and forums are full of "where are the F2.8 zooms ?"...

The roadmap will probably be updated soon (sept / oct ?). My guess is that Sony will focus on making FE lenses that don't exist in A-mount or whose A-mount lens is obsolete but let's see what will come then.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/lenses/roadmap.pdf

In the mean time, Sony has also made adapters that makes it very easy to use A-mount lenses on FE-mount cameras to fill holes in the system. I'm now using screw-in AF lenses such as Sony 85/1.4ZA on my A7r and it work surprisingly well.

Messages In This Thread
Where did all the long lenses for FE mount go? - by youpii - 08-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Where did all the long lenses for FE mount go? - by Guest - 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Where did all the long lenses for FE mount go? - by Guest - 08-27-2015, 06:57 AM