Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a Pentium D processor good enough?
Hi all.

After my 32 bit laptop couldn't run modern RAW converters like capture one, I decided to give my desktop a try. Haven't used it for years however I know it has a Pentium D processor.

Before reassembling it, would it have any advantage over my core 2 duo laptop?
In general (since the sensor specifics are lacking) Pentium D is slower than Core2 duo, its successor.. It  uses a lot more energy (produces also a lot more heat). Core 2 duo is 64 bit architecture though. Core duo was 32 bits. My ageing iMac 17" 2GHz Core 2 Duo runs 64bits Mac OS 10.7.5 just fine. 

There should not be a reason for your desktop to be able to run 64 bit OS-es and your laptop not?

Agreed, Core 2 Duo should generally out perform a Pentium D.

If you can't replace your existing laptop OS with a 64 bit one, there is another low risk possibility... install a 64 bit OS into a virtual machine. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Core 2 Duo supports virtualisation instructions which allow you to run a 64 bit guest OS within a 32 bit host. So you don't risk breaking your existing OS in the process. The downside is your host OS will still consume some ram so performance of the guest OS may less than native.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Toni-a, at some point you will have to part with the money. I would suggest to wait until you are ready to spend, then go for it. Try to avoid short term fixes.

You can use  a tool like "cpuz" (*1) to determine the exact type of cpu your systems have ...

then you can look up their performance on a site like cpubenchmark.net ... the easiest way is

to search for the cpu name followed by benchmark on google and look for the link 

to the above mentioned site ...

however ... 

take the results with a grain of salt ... there is more to system performance than just

cpu power.

In general I agree with the above statement, that a Pentium D ( even the ones with high

clockrates near 4ghz ) will be slower than a normal core 2 duo.

Rainer

*1 http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I have nothing to lose, will give my desktop PC a chance, here we can easily upgrade a desktop PC components anyway with a small cost