Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pentax lens announcements!
Quote:So "a" Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm means only the best 2? Just to be clear.

My English is not sufficient to decipher the meaning of that sentence. When I put it in DeepL, it is translated to German and tells me "Also bedeutet "a" Tamron oder Sigma 150-600mm nur die besten 2? Nur um das klarzustellen." The last sentence was easy, the first .... [Image: kopkr17x18.gif]
Quote:Standard prime*

Good to see that Pentax took the time to ship after introduction to another level... ("spring 2018", "summer 2018")

In the time it takes Pentax to ship one lens Sony can launch 5 lenses and two new cameras. Glad I switched, Sony is just better in all aspects apart from the nicer build and ergonomics of the Pentax.
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">     "So "a" Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm means only the best 2? Just to be clear."

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">  The 150-600mm sport and the Tamron G2 are sharper than the Tamron (original G1) and the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.......in my view, yes!..
Quote:I am pretty sure the 1st Tamron and the Sigma C also will give that Pentax a run for the money. 

The Pentax has issues finding ANY buyers, so yes, the price has dropped from $7000.

Do you know that you can get a Canon EF 500mm f4 L IS USM for less? And that lens will run circles around it too. Not sure why you are hell bent on defending Pentax on this particular lens...  :blink:

To be blunt I don't trust your evaluation on this. Not sure why you are hell bent on attacking Pentax on this particular lens...  Rolleyes (nor what is your experience with it, that you hate it so much)

Because every (the very, very few, because no one wants to own it) image shows it is not super-tele prime-sharp, it has bad aberrations and not nice bokeh for the type of lens. And it is still big because of its archaic design.

I don't hate it, why would I hate a lens unless it harmed me or someone else. It just is a crappy product, which makes me wonder why you deny its faults.

This time I don't want to pour more oil into the fire. Kunzite went already to nucelar defense mode, next will be "nuke 'em". Big Grin

I like the slick design of the 50 mm. Although there's already the limited 43 and the "ordinary" 50/1.4, I think Ricoh/Pentax put some effort in this 50 mm.

It's just that this range is widely covered by Pentax, others less so. And debating with a Pentaxian is rather pointless, the whole design concept of Pentax is original, and crying "like me or ignore me". Says a person who owned to Pentax bodies and 5 lenses years ago... Traitor, I know.
Quote:My English is not sufficient to decipher the meaning of that sentence. When I put it in DeepL, it is translated to German and tells me "Also bedeutet "a" Tamron oder Sigma 150-600mm nur die besten 2? Nur um das klarzustellen." The last sentence was easy, the first .... [Image: kopkr17x18.gif]

The point is, "a" Tamron or Sigma 150-600 means AFAIK all of them - including the older Tamron (and, I thought at that moment, an older Sigma - but that was a 150-500 :wacko: ).
Quote:And debating with a Pentaxian is rather pointless.
Aaand... we're getting closer to the real issue Wink
Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">     "So "a" Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm means only the best 2? Just to be clear."

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;">  The 150-600mm sport and the Tamron G2 are sharper than the Tamron (original G1) and the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary.......in my view, yes!..

Dave, when I asked for the clarification I had in mind the old Tamron and the Sigma 150-500 (yes, I know...) which IMO are nothing special at their long end (OTOH being able to reach such focal lengths for cheap was an impressive feat).

The best way for this dilemma, IMO, would be for Sigma to launch one of their lenses in K-mount, even the Contemporary. You won't see me insistently asking for this because (almost certainly) I wouldn't buy.

As a Pentaxian (by definition the enemy of some gentlemen here), I'd want Ricoh Imaging to get out their own lenses, as much as possible.
Quote:Aaand... we're getting closer to the real issue Wink

Having been a Pentaxian, I still have a soft spot for the brand, so any criticisms I discuss here are because I do think Pentax could do better, for shooters and for themselves.

We have seen the writing on the wall as to ML, some of it is panic mode, and some is just plain actualities and is happening right under our noses.

The K1 brought a huge wave of enthusiasm to the brand but Pentax are testing their clients fidelity to the limit by taking an age to bring out standard glass in a timely manner....

.....and Tamron have them all,  all those missing lenses.....better to have a reasonable slice of a lot than a large slice of very little...and all a Pentaxian can do is gaze longingly over the fence at the huge amount of new glass flooding the market.

A super risky business plan in my view and one which I foresee not lasting the course!

As for the DA 560mm and it's odd design, but I wouldn't call it crappy,  however, it is below the level of the competition in IQ, with a stop less light......(btw it also suffers from purple fringing)

The Nikor 200-500mm is also F5.6 constant and only 60mm less in FL, for around $1400 (or so)  and it is more compact and zooms out to 200mm with VR.... a no brainer F5.6............. the Tammy G2 is only 1/3rd of a stop slower and goes to 600mm! (for a bunch of peanuts)

When one puts things in perspective and compares the DA against it's bountiful competitive lenses,  it doesn't stack up well......bring it down to $2250 and the picture looks a little more rosy!

Ricoh's business is also suffering from falling photocopier sales.......which can't be helping.

I just wish I could write something positive about the future of the K mount....... I really do!

To your last post Kunzite;

The Tammy G1 is out of production now anyway so not worth re-badging as the G2 is it's replacement, they re-badged the 24-70mm F2.8 Tamron, after a year their G2 version is available and has de-moded the PK version. 

The 150-500mm Sigma was a lack lustre lens, worse than the 50-500mm that I owned.

Why Sigma? they have made it clear they no longer want to serve the K mount? Tamron still has a business relationship with Pentax.