Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15/4 macro lens 1:1, fullframe, from Venus optics - opinions?
JoJu,

it's pretty interesting. I don't plan to buy stuff this year, anyway a UWA with 1:1 is interesting indeed. You can do neat stuff with flowers and insects.

The use of extension rings is difficult if not impossible with UWAs because they need to be very thin. For instance, I've experimented with the Samyang 8mm fish-eye and the required extension is less than 1mm. I ended up by buying a second lens and using the older one for experimenting: I inserted a cardboard spacer under the lens mount. 

Things improved when I switched to the Sony mirrorless - I could buy a Nikon-F/Sony-E mount adapter which includes a focusing helicoid, which means I can use the unmodified Samyang and return to normality with infinite focusing without changing lens. The problem is that the DoF is so thin that focusing is a hard job (especially when you have some wind moving the flowers). 

Having 1:1 in a normal lens preserving infinity focus is interesting. It all depends on sharpness and effective angle of view. Looking forward to see your photos. :-)

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
15/4 macro lens 1:1, fullframe, from Venus optics - opinions? - by stoppingdown - 06-27-2015, 05:03 PM