Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 24-35mm f2 DG HSM Art announced.... Heavyweight.
I've never been much of a prime shooter, outside of exotics like fisheye, macro and tilt-shift anyway. I tried using the TS-E 24 as a normal prime and never got on with it. The old 35/2 was better in that respect, but I guess I'm not suited to a fixed focal length. So in that case, the Sigma could be a good fit for those who can't decide what wide angle prime they want to use, or otherwise end up constantly swapping lenses. This of course assumes the lens is capable of delivering prime like performance wide open within its focal range.

Personally I don't care about the size and weight if it saves me swapping lenses in the field.

But would I buy this lens? No. While I do use that range, I don't really need the aperture, so a slower longer zoom will do me fine.

Also as a Canon user, it has a backward zoom ring so is an instant deal breaker for me. This seems to be a break from tradition, where it seemed most recent Sigma lenses were Canon/Oly zoom order if they were full frame, and the opposite way around on crop. Some have speculated this may be a pimped out version of the crop lens so that might give a possible reason why the zoom direction is the way it is.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Messages In This Thread
Sigma 24-35mm f2 DG HSM Art announced.... Heavyweight. - by popo - 06-19-2015, 07:54 PM