Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
The next round in the 50mania game ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...n_50_18stm

Quite good albeit not stellar.

"The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has a much higher center sharpness at fully open aperture though." <-- drat, you just pushed me to spend $150 out of my pocket. Robbed me blind without a gun. :lol:

WTF is that with that huge inner barrel extension though!  :wacko: Looks more like a macro lens of yore - something along these lines:

[Image: lens.jpg]

The old 50mm f1.8 has a bigger MFD. For the new one, with the same optics formula, to have a smaller MFD, the lens has to push the optics out more.

Old lens, MFD 0.45m:

New lens, MFD 0.35m:

And the reason for these 50mm Canons to extend is the same as for the macro lenses you refer to. They are not IF designs.

We'll have to be extra careful about this lens because it'll have to be collapsed before stowing away, every time. Well, I guess the hood (anybody seen that baby yet?) might add some protection.

Quote:<div>
The next round in the 50mania game ...
</div>
Bring on the Otus!  Tongue

Is it actually better wide open than the old one, or is this due to sample variation? I never found the old one to AF that reliably, and my limited experience of STM so far on other lenses is it is better than the old micro-motor. I think the list price in the US didn't change between them, but UK street price the new one is at quite a premium. At least of the photographers I know who have the old one, I think price was a major point. If I didn't already have two other 50's, I think I'd quite like this.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Well, you can clearly see (in the lab images) that the center is very snappy now (the borders/corners remain muddy).

This can be either due to the new coating (higher contrast) or because better centering.

The official MTFs vary slightly at the extreme corners so something has changed (albeit just a tiny bit).

Quote:We'll have to be extra careful about this lens because it'll have to be collapsed before stowing away, every time. Well, I guess the hood (anybody seen that baby yet?) might add some protection.

<div> 
Bring on the Otus!  Tongue

</div>
I guess that means turning off the camera before taking off the lens? The lens hood indeed covers the lens when it is extended pretty well.

Isn't the Otus 55mm?  Big Grin  Wink
Is there a rule against testing 55mm lenses? Smile

Quote:Is there a rule against testing 55mm lenses? Smile
You replied to "The next round in the 50mania game ..."

I was just kidding about it because the Otus is not 50mm  Tongue
Quote:You replied to "The next round in the 50mania game ..."

I was just kidding about it because the Otus is not 50mm  Tongue
Yeah, the folks at Zeiss probably decided that 55mm sounds better as in "you get 10% more millimeters for free". Well, not too "free" as it turned out. Big Grin

Nikon tried for "extra 8mm" but failed miserably (as Lenstip / SLRGear tests and a few user accounts imply).