Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The EOS M3 arrived in da lab today ...
First impressions:

- it doesn't handle like your average EOS DSLR (which puzzled me at first)

- BQ is good but it's clearly a low to mid range product. This also applies to the 55-200mm, the 18-55mm feels better.

- The shutter sound is a bit soso

- Good display

- no fine spot AF ... bummer!

- no electronic shutter ... bummer reloaded

- histogram can only be displayed very much inwards from the corners

- Rather limited customization options (but maybe I have to understand it better)

- IQ ... no idea yet

In any case this thing is still way behind the competition ...

Err. why did you buy it?

Dave's clichés
To test it!

If it doesn't handle like a Canon DSLR, does it handle like a Canon compact?

Is the build quality comparable, say, to the xxxD line and their associated kit lenses? I guess that is the space it is most likely self-competing in.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
The build quality of the EOS M line bodies is very high. Tight tolerances, sturdy metal feel, scratch resistant glass over the LCD. It is the one standout feature of the EOS M series.

The lens build quality is pretty good (11-22mm, 22mm, 18-55mm), a notch above that of most EF-S lenses.

Quote:The build quality of the EOS M line bodies is very high. Tight tolerances, sturdy metal feel, scratch resistant glass over the LCD. It is the one standout feature of the EOS M series.

The lens build quality is pretty good (11-22mm, 22mm, 18-55mm), a notch above that of most EF-S lenses.

The build quality isn't bad but certainly not pro grade - it's in the xxxD class I'd say. Metal parts aren't everything.

The front and rear dials feel average for instance. The (plastic) battery cover feels a little cheap.

Now this has to be seen in the context of its pricing, of course. Say an Olympus E-M5 II or a Fuji X-E2 feel sturdier but they are also more expensive.

I am most surprised about the shutter - could be a Sony one (in terms of noise and vibrations).

In terms of ergonomics I'm not thrilled but there is no showstopper. This is odd because the ergonomics on Canon DSLRs is the best there is in the DSLR league (IMHO). Probably still an upgrade compared to the original M. ;-)

I agree regarding the 18-55mm.

The 55-200mm has a plastic mount (and more plastic in the body) though which is insulting regarding its price tag.

Can't comment on the 22mm yet.
The touch screen interface of the M series works the same as the one found on the EOS DSLRs (650D and up, 70D). Well thought out and works pretty well, only (big) problem with it is that the screen is always touch active, so you HAVE to switch the camera off when not taking photos.

The fine spot AF lack has a little work around: when you magnify the live view the area of the scene within the AF box gets smaller.

The EF-M 22mm f2 STM has a similar build to the 11-22mm and 18-55mm. Because it does not zoom and therefore does not show a plastic inner tube when zooming, the subjective impression is of an even higher build quality.

Quote:In any case this thing is still way behind the competition ...
Yep, the M3 is indeed a pretty uninspired mirrorless. If the market loves it as much as the M1 one can pick it up for less than 200 Euro in the not too far future.
I am looking forward to your review Klaus!

As I am an almost happy M1 user, I was eagerly awaiting the M3 to come.

Now that it is here, it shows already some severe shortcomings.

Initially I was going to buy the M3 as soon as it became available, but right now I am holding back.

The M1 still serves me well for what i am doing and some of the shortcomings have not been properly adressed with the new model.

Canon even added new concerns to the list, e.g. the strange menue (a cross-bread of DSLR & Powershot) and a green color cast even in raw mode; very strange!

On top of things, for M-users in EU staffed already with M-lenses it is not attractive to buy a 2nd 18-55mm...

The very useful Tamron 18-200mm VC in EF-M mount is not yet compatible with M3 and many other Tamron lenses, too.

I may even wait as long as a M4 appears before I buy anything new!

The M3 is a good camera. However, it resides in a market with excellent cameras.

As long as Canon follows a me-too strategy it's going to be difficult for them.

The 'gang of four' (lenses) is now also here.

Somewhat surprising - the EF-M 11-22mm is a retractable zoom lens.