Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds crazy but I am getting 5D, do I need new lenses ?
Quote:The big plus for FF is the ability to get more shallow DOF. You can get wide angle just fine on APS-H, with for instance a Tokina 12-24mm f4 DX.

The 5D has a particularly nice colour in its files, a richness and contrast that is attractive. Similar to the 1D mk III.
I found that F/4ish on APS-H gives plenty of that (and usually I still have to stop down even more to have acceptable depth of field). YMMV. Either way, I'm not sure the difference is going to be noticeable between FF and APS-H.
Quote:I found that F/4ish on APS-H gives plenty of that (and usually I still have to stop down even more to have acceptable depth of field). YMMV. Either way, I'm not sure the difference is going to be noticeable between FF and APS-H.
That is photographer dependent. I find that 55mm f1.2 does not always give me enough shallow DOF, and surely will notice that APS-C or APS-H won't offer as much. You then have no real use for FF, which is understandable and fine.

There is a reason APS-C has its fans, and 4/3rds too. And of course FF, and APS-H.
Quote:That is photographer dependent. I find that 55mm f1.2 does not always give me enough shallow DOF.
Ouch... I can't think off the top of my head why is that. Can you show me an example of what you're doing with that? I'm not trying to pull your leg... just genuinely curious. From what you've been saying, you seem to be very much into macro, but that's not an area where you'd need (or indeed want) very large apertures...

Toni did not start the discussion if (or not) the 5DMk1 is (or is not)

a camera he should buy. Instead, he mentioned as a fact, that he

is getting one. His question was regarding lenses.

The fact, that some forum users do, and others don't understand his

choice of camera is not really helpful in this context. Also, the relevance

that some put on a certain sensorformat, and the irrelevance this has

for others, will also not answer the original question.

Many thanks all, as I told you I was already using 5D and happy with it, that's why I the decision of buying it was quite easy, I just said to my friend if you don't mind, I won't give you back the 5D, I am keeping it for good, name your price.

This weekend I went shooting using 5D plus 50mm f1.4 and 100mm macro and didn't feel I needed anything more so I am quite happy with it, what I need is an ultrawide lens for landscape and architecture, my widest lens now is Canon EFs 17-55f2.8 , I am extremely happy with it as walkaround lens however I often need wider. It doesn't matter if the lens is full frame or APS-C but from your experience which one would be the best ?

on APS-C no doubt the best option is Canon EFs 10-18, on full frame I think there are plenty of good  options what do you recommend ? I get EFs 10-18 or another one to use on 5D ? which one 

The 10-18 is said to be a great choice but I've never used one.

As an owner of the 5D classic/Mk 1/whatever, I can recommend the Sigma 15-30 EX. Mine is sharp from wide open and feels great. The contrast is really nice two, which helps to forget the impossibility to use filters.

The biggest downside of the Sigma is the work against the sun, as it flares pretty hefty but on the other hand, it's 15mm!!